Sunday, January 3, 2016

2015 Snack Year Standouts


What do you mean this looks like clipart?

Before we start a new year in snacking, it's only appropriate that we take a look back into this past year's snacking standouts.

Let's get to it!

Savory Category

3. Cheez-It Hot and Spicy

"If I had one wish, I would wish for world peace"

I had several variations of Cheez-Its this year like their Pepper-Jack flavor and their Crunch'd line offerings, but it was their Hot and Spicy flavor that set high marks this year. With a great combination of savory and spicy goodness, it was hard to put the box down. Read more about it here.


2. Trader Joe's Baconesque White Cheddar Popcorn

"It's an honor just to be nominated"

A common theme for many savory snacks this year was the incorporation of "meat" flavors into their products (see Kettle Chips Maple Bacon and Lay's Gyro flavored potato chips). One such product that did a better job than others was this Trader Joe's popcorn release. Though it didn't quite hit the bacon flavor home run, it hit a humdinger in the flavor department. Read more here.

1. Calbee Hot and Spicy Potato Chips

"I'd like to thank the Academy"

Although Calbee has been getting lots of attention recently because of their Honey-Butter products (both solo and collaboratively with Haitai), it's this staple that I feel really put them on the map. I know these chips have been around for awhile now, but have a taste you'll be able to figure out why. Read my review here.


Sweet Category

3. Riska Sittori Ichigo

"Please spell my name correctly on my trophy"

I didn't know what to expect when I picked up these, but I received quite a surprise when I took my first bite. Even with it's charmingly artificial strawberry flavor that all snacks seem to have when they decide to go the ' berry route, (like this) it's fun, interesting texture along with their odd flavor delivery system made quite the impression. Read the details here.

2. Nuggle

"Only 1st Runner Up!?"

My introduction to this chocolate candy bar was like a beginning to a great pop song; it was just an ordinary day. I wasn't looking for anything particular. Our paths crossed and I haven't stopped thinking about her ever since. In addition to having a great name, Nuggle has enough nuts to make Howard Stern look meek. This snack may even borderline on being semi-healthy (at least I tell myself that) Don't believe it? Check it out.

1. Oreo Thins

"Gimme my damn award!"

Oreos are far from a being new thing, but this year they did something so amazing, I don't think even they realized how big of a difference it made. Simply by streamlining their signature cookie, it raised the bar on an already iconic product. Folks, first there was bread and then there was sliced bread. In my mind, that's almost how big of  change this was. Read my thoughts further here.

Video of the Week
When I hear the name Disney, several things come to mind; Mickey, animation and more recently, Star Wars. However, after seeing this video, those terms might be replaced with, Arnold, killer robots and Cyberdyne.

See you in 20 years,
when I come back from the future to kill you

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!