Sunday, January 10, 2016

Momofuku Milk Bar Blueberry and Cream Cookie

Momo who?
The Attraction
One of the wonderful things about the holidays is all the candy and treats that come flowing in and out of the office. One vendor was kind enough to send a basket of assorted cookies from famed chef and restaurateur David Chang. You may know him more from one of his many restaurants in the Northeast States called Momofuku. So granted, I didn't go out and grab this, but I certainty grabbed one when I saw this in the office. With a flavor named "Blueberry and Cream Cookie", how can anyone really resist?

The Review:
I heard that David Chang was opening up a bakery, but I didn't really go out of my way to track it down. I didn't think too much of it as I've been to Momofuku once and although it was good, it didn't make an impression strong enough to burn a hole in my memory, but this cookie on the other hand, it sure looks like it has some potential.

This sucker was big...


I briskly open the clear wrapper housing the tasty looking cookie and waited to see if the smell of blueberries would strike me....it didn't, but that's OK. I carefully slid the cookie out and the first thing I observed is the weight and moisture still in this cookie. Just the appearance of this cookie looked amazing. The blueberries were plentiful and the cookie didn't look overly processed. The only thing left to do was to take a bite.

I carefully break the cookie in two halves only to see a blueberry slowly peel away from one of the halves. Damn, that was sexy! I finally take a bite and the the moisture and blueberry flavor was to be found as advertised. The more I ate it, the less it struck me as a cookie. The Milkbar website touts them this way:

"a cookie that tastes like the top of a blueberry muffin- we take our sugar cookie dough, add bits of milk crumbs & morsel of dried blueberries!"

I can see what they were going for and it's reminiscence of that, but it's hard to duplicate that drier, crispy top of a blueberry muffin. The result is far closer to a blueberry bar....a really tasty blueberry bar.

...and moist!
The Sweet:
Great flavor in a nice sized moist cookie.

The Bitter:
At around $2.50- $3 a cookie, it's nearing the macaroon price range...and who wants to pay that much for a cookie?

Conclusion:
Just hearing the name, Blueberry and Cream Cookie makes my mouth water. As tasty as the name sounds, the cookie itself is able to deliver on those expectations. It's moist and flavorful without overwhelming you with any one single aspect of the cookie (sweetness or blueberry flavor).

Now, that all comes with a hefty price tag. These are about on par as other high end cookies like those from another chef's bakery, Tom Keller's Bouchon or a gourmet bakery like Dean and Deluca, but with a cost per cookie like that, it really has to be something special enough to make the snacker want to come back for it again and again because there simply isn't anything else like it or it is done head and shoulders above everyone else. In this case, it begs the question; instead of paying a premium to buy a cookie that is trying to taste like a muffin, why not just buy a muffin?

This cookie is well made and is delicious, but I would be more eager to sample some of their other cookies to see what new flavors I have yet to ever experience.

Video of the Week


When I take off my shirt,
they seem to look away from me, not at me...weird?

I know historically women, of the two sexes, tend to be objectified and gawked at. Although I don't agree with that reaction from anyone, it's good to know that men aren't exclusive in appreciating the human form as witnessed by this woman's eyes almost exploding out of her head.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!