Sunday, September 21, 2014

Strawberry Creme Oreo

Just the right size to squeeze into my luggage

The Attraction:
It wasn't too long ago that I was out in Hong Kong strolling the local convenience store across the hotel trying to locate any international goodies that I could smuggle back into the States. That's where I ran into this pretty. With all the flavors that Oreo is offering these days, I don't think I've ever seen a Strawberry Creme Flavored Oreo before. Done deal.


The Review
I wasn't really sure what to expect here. Recently there's been a slew of flavors that Oreo has been releasing here in the US (Lemon, Limeade, Watermelon, Birthday Cake, etc). Part of me was excited at the idea of all the variations, but wondering why strawberry was never tested here locally. Anywoo, I was ready dig in to it...

One of the first things I observed is the packaging did not included some form of a firm tray or box to prevent the crushing of the cookies, which is exactly what happened to my pack on a 16 hour flight back home. (That's interesting considering the equivalent Oreos here are normally sold within a box). With my first bite, it was obvious that the cookie top and bottom shell were identical to the ones here in America; a nice crisp snap with chocolate flavor filled my mouth, but then another flavored followed that was also familiar, but not in the context of an Oreo. The strawberry creme came through and it was very much reminiscent of other Asian-oriented snacks that I've had previously that use a strawberry creme. Snacks like Pocky, Yan-Yan and Hello Panda came to mind immediately, but is that a good thing?

 Familiar top...

The Sweet:
Do you like strawberry flavored Pocky, Yan-Yan or Hello Panda? If you do, Strawberry Creme Oreos have a very similar flavor profile and can easily be interchanged with any of those Asian snack classics.
...unfamiliar creme or so I thought
The Bitter:
Although I recognize the popularity of all those items other snack items, I am not a fan of that type of strawberry "flavor". To me, that strawberry "flavor" is like a caricature of what strawberry is suppose to taste like. It comes across overblown and too artificial tasting. (Think Strawberry flavored Quik). Granted, if I had some Quik in front of me right now, I would gulp it down, but I don't think I would go out and buy more for a very long while.

Conclusion:
If you are a fan of Asian snacks that have a strawberry creme component to it, it'll be a good fit for you. Personally, this variation from Oreo won't be taking another trip with me back home. I'll reserve that space in my luggage for a more "natural" fit.

Video of the Week
Meanwhile, on the other side of the world, a good buddy helps a friend kick off his morning the right way with the assistance of Mr. Wasabi.

"Don't overreact, don't overreact, don't...oh well"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!