Sunday, December 27, 2015

Haitai Calbee Honey Butter Chip



I'll be home for Christmas!
The Attraction
Does any avid reader of this blog really need the reason as to why I'm reviewing this baby? For those of you that aren't, these are the original snack chips that started the Honey Butter craze in S. Korea. (Here's a summary). The time......has come.

The Review:
I've been searching high and low in the Korean markets around here in the New York area to see if I could locate a bag of these chips to complete my snack trifecta as I have previously have reviewed Haitai's version of the chip, Honey Tong Tong and Calbee's version of the Honey Butter Chips. I really needed to review the original and collaborative version between the two snack manufacturers to reach a final verdict. Although I've struck out here in the States, this is where my pal Hayley comes in to save the day.

She was heading over to S. Korea to visit her family and said she would hook me up if she came across it. In my mind, I had imagined my poor friend Hayley going to every store in S. Korea looking for these chips, striking back alley deals to get the next shipment, rerouting delivery trucks, etc. Unfortunately, it wasn't anything as dramatic as that. She said she walked into a convenience store and there they were. OK, not as cloak and dagger as I had hoped, but I really appreciate her getting me these. Thanks Hayley!

After snapping a few of the obligatory photos, I carefully tear open the bag to see what these K-Pop stars were going crazy about. As I open the bag, like the other two competitors, the smell of butter and sweetness comes pouring out. Ah...it's all coming back to me; that time when I reviewed those other honey butter chip offerings, but will these taste THAT different? Let's not waste another moment...

I pickup a chip and take a bite.

The sweetness of the honey starts the ride, but as the sweetness hits a crescendo, the slight saltiness of the butter slices through the sugar and brings the flavor back down to earth as the flavor ride draws to a close. It leaves your mouth and mind wanting to have another one to see if what just happened was real. Usually most snacks go the savory or sweet route exclusively, but these honey butter chips throw a curve ball with it's unique and roller-coaster like flavor combination. OK, maybe I'll have a couple more to be sure.

Go towards the light!

The Sweet:
Great sweet and savory mix, both very subtle.

The Bitter:
Can't seem to be able to get these in the States.

Could this possibly live up to the hype?

Conclusion:
Do these live up to the hype? I really don't think any snack can after getting so much publicity in Asia, but these are tasty. It's very unique in it's flavor profile and I can certainly see why people would be a fan; whereas many snacks play it straight, either savory or sweet, these Honey Butter chips are schizophrenic and keeps your taste buds off-balance.

As to how these original Honey Butter Chips compare to the solo efforts from Haitai and Calbee, it seems like the perfect compromise between the two snack makers. After having all three products, I would guess that the flavor of these original Honey Butter chips are from Haitai's recipe as it seems very similar in their refined flavor and not as strong as Calbee's version. The chip or the method of applying the flavor onto the chip maybe Calbee's contribution to this joint effort, as Haitai's snack vessel to distribute their solo Honey Butter flavor is a thicker, triangular shrimp-like chip, as opposed to Calbee's conventional and more streamlined potato chip.

This is all speculation, by the way, but it certainly sounds a lot more poetic this way, doesn't it?

Like Jagger / Richards and Lennon / McCartney, some collaborations are just magical and are so special because jointly they could accomplish what they just could not do so alone. So is the case with these Haitai / Calbee Honey Butter Chips. Haitai is the Ying to Calbee's Yang, and although individually they can create great products, sometimes, even in the snack world, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Video Website of the Week
As the year draws to a close, this week I will be sharing Noisey's 50 Best Albums of the year. Other than listening to #3, I can't say I've heard of any of the other albums. Perhaps it'll only be a matter of time before I tell kids to "keep that racket down" and that music now is "crap" compared to when I was a kid. Oh, how cruel Father time can be...

You know you are old when you've
heard of only four of the artist on the list

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!