Sunday, January 24, 2016

Tunnock's Caramel Wafer Dark Chocolate

Don't I look so dignified!
The Attraction
As I noted a few weeks ago, one of the best parts of the holidays are people coming back bringing treats from other parts of the world. My second review in regards of that plunder comes from Scotland...enter Tunnock's Caramel Wafer!

The Review:
I'm generally not a fan of  sugar wafers like these. I'm not sure if I had too much at some point in my life, but even seeing wafers turn me off. Add the fact that these are dark chocolate and that's strike two, but because they come from outside of the States, I tried to put that all aside and keep an open mind as to what I was about to taste.

I slowly unwrap the wrapper and observe the "wafer" for a moment. This looks pretty serious.

This looks better than most sugar wafers I've had

I take a bite or try to rather as I attempt to sink my teeth into the wafer, it becomes apparent that I really need to commit to this bite. This sucker is pretty hard considering what it is, but when it finally yields, there is the crunch of the wafer then the hit of the chocolate from the coating and slowly the flavor of the caramel that is delicately inserted between each wafer layer comes seeping through midway into my bite. Actually, I think that layering affect of the caramel and sugar wafer creates that super strong snack structure that I had to power my way through.

These Tunnock's Caramel Wafers are actually reminiscent of a super strong, denser-stuff-inside Kit-Kat. The caramel is sweet enough where I don't even notice the dark chocolate flavor. Although that's a good thing, I don't know what to quite make of it all just yet.

Taste better too!
The Sweet:
Taste-wise, it reminds me of a Kit Kat

The Bitter:
You really have to bite into this sucker.

Conclusion:
There's nothing really wrong with Tunnock's Caramel Wafer Dark Chocolate as a snack, but being that I grew up eating Kit Kats, I'm accustomed to that the texture and density. I can see how if you grew up eating these, then tried a Kit Kat, you might think that a Kit Kat was just too wimpy when you bit into it. Although Tunnock's taste great, I would prefer to stick with my tried-and-true "wimpy" version and keep most of my teeth in the process. 

Video of the Week 
In case you didn't have enough of the "House Fire Woman", this week, we offer you the "songify" version with autotune. It's actually really good. I dare you not to sing along or tap your toes.


"The building in on fire, fire!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!