Sunday, January 17, 2016

Jif Crunchy Peanut Butter Bar


Not just PB in a jar anymore!
The Attraction
A few weeks ago I was walking the supermarket aisles looking for some green tea ice cream. As I turned the corner, I saw a little cardboard cutout with these bars in them.

"Jif makes bars now?" I thought to myself.

Apparently they do. Being a PB lover, I grabbed one of the crunchy variety and continued on my quest for ice cream.

The Review:
Jif has been making peanut butter for awhile now and although they aren't my go-to brand, (see Skippy) they are still the most popular peanut butter brand in the US. I was curious what Jif had up their sleeve as I've seen many flavor variations of PB recently, but up to this point, never a foray into the granola bar arena.

I unwrap the bar and admire from afar all the layers of peanut butter flavor coming my way. I was doubly excited because I like crunchy peanut butter even more (Jif also offers a creamy version of the granola bar). This could be epic peanut butter flavor based on what I can tell on the bar. Looks like a base of some sort of peanut butter nougat with granola on top of that and then a layer of shiny peanut butter like caramel with pieces of peanuts mixed in. This thing might be considered a deadly weapon to a person with a serious peanut allergy.

Layers of peanut goodness...

I finally take my first bite and the bar yields to it much like any other granola bar. The larger crime is that there is no "crunch" as the wrapper would have you believe. The flavor is definitely unmistakably PB, but surprisingly, it's also not as strong in PB flavor as it would appear. The bar eats very much like a Snickers bar, but oddly enough, without the crunch of the peanuts. Where the heck is the crunch?

Flavor-wise, it's good, but where it fails is the expectation of something super peanut butter flavor. It's rather ordinary and not that different from other granola bars that incorporate peanut butter into their recipe.

or was it?
The Sweet:
Good flavor

The Bitter:
Not as peanut-buttery as you would think with all those layers. Not that different from most granola bars with peanut butter in it. They call this crunchy?

Conclusion:
Remove the name Jif from this snack and the review may have been more favorable, but be it as it may, Jif has a reputation it must live up to. Superior peanut butter flavor and in this case of a "crunchy" variety of a peanut butter product, it must deliver a crunch! Although the bar was flavorful and tasty, it was hardly anything new in this genre.

If you are America's number 1 peanut butter brand, the public holds you to a higher standard and unfortunately, these Jif Crunchy Peanut Butter granola Bars are very pedestrian. 

Video of the Week


I thought I told them to turn the camera off!

Sometimes in life, you are just so hungry, you can't get the food in you fast enough. In this case with Peking Duck, this man has found a clever way to speed up the process exponentially. Unfortunately he has also sped up the process in which women swipe left after viewing this video.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!