Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Kettle Brand Buffalo Bleu Potato Chips

It must be fancy if it's spelt "Bleu"
The Attraction:
Sandwiches go together with chips like PB +J, burger and fries, and Batman and Robin, so when it was lunchtime recently at work, I had to pair up my sandwich with something. That's when she walked in through the "out" door (out door)

The Review:
I was a bit apprehensive with this bag of chips after I tried one of Kettle Brand's other products, Maple Bacon Potato Chips. It wasn't awful, but it didn't set my world on fire from it's snack goodness. I decided to give this another go with a new flavor.

I open the bag and wait for any amazing snack smells to greet me. They did not this time, so I leaned in and got a good hint of a barbecue chip aroma. I was surprised as the flavor "Buffalo Bleu" seems to suggest buffalo chicken wings with bleu cheese, but the smell was more just plain bbq. Well, it's only a smell.

"..but what about the taste, Paul?"

I take a bite out of one of those hefty chips that are almost identical to the ones I had in the Thick and Bold Carolina BBQ flavor chips. Taste-wise, think traditional barbecue potato chips a bit more on the vinegary side with some heat towards the end and some cheese flavor thrown in to boot. Not bad, but not enough to really burn a snack hole in my soul. I can't say at any point I thought it tasted like Buffalo Wings with Bleu cheese.

-
A crinkle cut tunnel

The Sweet:
Subtly spicy bbqesque flavor built into a crunchy potato chip 

The Bitter:
Maybe I'm not built to like crinkle cut chips...

Taco shells aren't this rigid

Conclusion:
The flavor itself is interesting. It sort of feels like a mashup of a bunch of traditional potato chip flavors; the sweetness and smokiness of a barbecue chip, the cheese flavor of a cheddar chip, and the slight heat of a...well, a spicy chip. In my mind, I thought this would be what Ruffles All Dressed Up was supposed to be. Although intriguing flavor-wise, the thicker crinkle cut of the chip was the final straw. I'm just not a fan of a thick crinkle cut chip, which unfortunately also makes me not a fan of these Kettle Brand Buffalo Bleu chips.

Video of the Week
I had a few choices this week, but I decided to go with a sweet story of how a man raised a gorilla for years, released him back into the wild and then tracked him back down some time after that to see how the gorilla was doing. It may only be a matter of time before Disney or Pixar picks up the option for this story.

"Hello. It's me.
I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!