Sunday, October 18, 2015

Kettle Brand Maple Bacon Potato Chips

Here we go again

The Attraction:
When I stepped out of the office the other day to pickup lunch, I was fully expecting to pickup the old standby, a bag of nacho-flavored Doritos, when I spotted this curiosity on the potato chip rack. I've had a few variations of this theme lately, so I was a little reluctant at first, but then I thought, "OK, I guess I can try one more...."

The Review:
I've started to rack up my fair share of snacks that have tried to incorporate "meat" flavor into their products like herehere and here. Although the results have been mixed, I was feeling hopeful when I saw that the Kettle Brand company took Lay's lead with trying some new and interesting flavors. Maple and bacon?! I can see by their illustration on the front of their bag that they are trying to capture that unique flavor combination when your pancake syrup drips off your short stack and onto your strips of crispy bacon. Ahh....I can taste that already....but can a bag of chips possibly capture that magic?

Tear the bag open and the maple syrup smell is first to greet me. I pickup a chip and indulge. There's the maple flavor I smelled....and as the tail end of the bite concludes, the cured taste of bacon comes around to close out the show. It's not bad, and they certainly have captured that maple flavor, but something seems missing.....it doesn't seem to deliver the knockout blow.

When I have potato chips, part of my preset expectation is there will be a savory (salty) component to it....and there is in this product, but it doesn't quite deliver it as strongly as I had hoped. It's like ordering a side of french fries...but they aren't quite salted enough. Yes, they are crispy, yes, they are hot, yes, they smell amazing...but when you pop that fry in your mouth, if it doesn't deliver a hit of savory flavor, either via salt or ketchup, it seems to miss the target. That's how these chips came across to me.


Would it kill them to put more in there?

The Sweet:
Kettle chips crispy crunch with a sweet maple start gets you excited.

The Bitter:
It doesn't quite scratch that savory flavor itch.

Is there bacon in there?
Conclusion:
In theory, this sounded like a plausible flavor combination, but the reality didn't quite live up to the expectation. I've come to give up that any chip will ever be able to come very close to simulating "meat" flavor, but where this snack falters is that unlike having that piece of bacon with pancakes in the morning where the saltiness of the bacon helps neutralize the sweetness of the maple syrup, the savory aspects of the these chips doesn't come through quite strong enough to satisfy that savory craving.

Video of the Week
As we enter post-season play in baseball here in the States, (Go Mets!), here's a clip of a Samurai showing you how to really show a baseball who's the boss.

First try? I can't even hit a ball with a bat going that fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!