Sunday, August 23, 2015

Trader Joe's Baconesque White Cheddar Popcorn

Does everything taste better with bacon?
The Attraction:
With a name like "Baconesque White Cheddar Popcorn" is there really much more to explain? This combination of words is a close second to "Ice Cream Doughnut Holes" to guarantee my pulse to pickup a few beats. (PS don't steal my idea)

The Review
Trader Joe's is a popular grocery chain here in the States that sell their own brand of products. A majority of which is targeted towards the health conscience crowd. That doesn't necessarily mean a "health food" store, but it's geared more towards using wholesome ingredients and less artificial additives. What's great about Trader Joe's is that eating this way doesn't mean a snack death sentence. They have fun with it and this is where a product like this comes in.

Crack open the bag and there is no particularly decipherable smell of bacon that is present. I do get a hint of that cheddar cheese smell, which is quite the pleasant aroma to a cheese lover like me. I grab a few pieces of popcorn and go for it. The 'baconesque" flavor actually leads the charge on this item (it's actually more smoky then bacon flavored) and then it manages to work in the cheddar flavor into your taste buds. I grab a couple of more to pinpoint exactly what I'm tasting.

The flavor isn't quite bacon-ish to me. It's more of a smoked ham note. I know it may sound like I'm splitting hairs here, but that is more accurate, I would say. To be exact, it's quite reminiscence of a smoked gouda cheese I have had occasionally.

Looks like regular popcorn...

The Sweet:
The cheddar and smoky flavor are really good!

The Bitter:
Not quite baconesque.

...but doesn't taste like regular popcorn!
Conclusion:
No, Trader Joe's doesn't quite hit the bulls-eye in the naming of this product, but I can understand why. "Hamesque White Cheddar Popcorn" doesn't sound as appealing. I've already documented how tricky it can be to try to recreate "meat" flavored snacks previously and although this item doesn't capture the bacon-flavor in my opinion, what they do have is one delicious smoky-cheese flavored snack that I will gladly pickup the next time I find myself at a Trader Joe's.

Video of the Week
Niagara Falls, Las Vegas, Florida, Italy, Hawaii, whatever. Want a honeymoon spot that will provide years of memories and conversation? How about acclaimed street artist Banky's Dismaland? Even a map here. Think of all the "happy" memories you'll take with you after your visit.

Happiest place on earth...isn't here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!