Sunday, January 31, 2016

Chips Ahoy! Chewy Chocolate Chip Made With Reese's Peanut Butter Cups


"How can we improve upon a chocolate chip cookie?
Oh, I know!"
The Attraction
I've had Chips Ahoy several times when I was a kid growing up. Recently I've avoided them because I never cared for the standard variety, yet I did love the chewy variation. With that said, I think we can all do with a little less cookies in our lives, so I didn't buy any for a while until I saw this offering with peanut butter cup pieces in it. I'm not Superman, people.

The Review:
OK, I admit it. I was struggling to find a new product when I picked up these cookies, but I also think deep inside I was searching for an excuse to try these cookies. Anyone who has been reading my reviews in the past knows how I adore peanut butter. There, you made me come out and say it.

I slowly peel back the package's resealable cover to reveal the rows of cookies in the tray waiting to be devoured. I have to carefully pick up a cookie as they are so soft that any sudden moments would break the cookie itself. Is there such a thing as "snack foreplay" that's not creepy sounding?

You can see the PB cup in the cookie! How sexy

Anyhoo, I commit to a taste and it's just as I remembered; a gentle yield to my bite and the cookie dough flavor acquiesces to the chocolate chip that's in the mix as well. It's only closer towards the end that the pb flavor comes bleeding through. It's clear that the folks at Chips Ahoy! chose to reformulate the pb cup recipe in this instance to reign in the texture and flavor. I can see how sticking with the original composition of the pb cup would have been too much of a contrast against its soft cookie surroundings. They also refined the pb flavor to tone it down so it wouldn't quite be so dominating in the cookie, but they could have let the pb flavor shine through a little more in the final product.

This could spell trouble

The Sweet:
Chewy, soft texture with a reworked peanut cup hits the right snack spot.

The Bitter:
As a pb fan, I could have took a little more pb flavor. Want to have just one? Haha...good luck!

Conclusion:
I know these are a commercial brand and I've had some fancy cookies as of late, but there's a reason why Chips Ahoy! has been around for such a long time. In addition to that great chewy texture they offer with this line, the variable of pb bits makes this product irresistible for a snacker like me. In the end, I won't be buying this item too often not because it isn't delicious, but I fear they are just too delicious and it will be clear just how much so the next time I'm at the beach.

Video of the Week 
At this point, we've all see videos and pictures of people piled onto bikes, but this family takes it to whole new level. Well, at least they have helmets on, oh wait, they don't have that either.

Just on hanging on the family bike

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!