Sunday, February 22, 2015

Cheez-It Pepper Jack Flavor


Can you improve upon a classic?

The Attraction:
I love Cheez-Its! I've been eating them since my early 20s. I used to like Cheez-Its so much and perhaps just cheese so much in general that I use to make my own Cheez-It sandwiches; 2 Cheez-Its crackers with a compressed canned cheese filling in between. Oh those were the days! I used to line them up on my stomach while watching TV and proceeded to eat them one by one. So when Sunshine (a Kelloggs company) released new cheese flavors for them, I was super excited! First up, Pepper Jack.

The Review
Other than the huge splash on the box noting what flavor was inside, these Cheez-Its don't look very different to me from the box. "Can they possibly mess this up?" I thought to myself.

I opened the box and the smell is subdued in comparison to the original Cheez-Its. There's not such a strong smell pouring out of the box, but generally speaking, pepper jack cheese isn't a strong smelling cheese. I pick one up and upon closer inspection, I notice that some crackers have black specks on them. That's got to be the pepper in the "pepper jack". I dig in and sure enough they taste different from the original. It's not quite as salty and forward with it's cheese flavor. Towards the end of the first cracker I had, I got a slight hint of that spicy pepper "kick", if you want to call it that. "Hmm, not bad".


Those black spots are the pepper jack!

The Sweet:
I like that the cracker mimics the cheese itself; a bit more laid pack with it's "cheesy" flavor, followed by the peppery finish. 

The Bitter:
I prefer more of a peppery or spicier "kick" on my pepper jack cheese flavor. Perhaps double the amount. At times I didn't even notice any spiciness.

Conclusion:
The folks over at Sunshine didn't mess this up. I can see how fans of Cheez-Its that would like a little heat might be fans of this. For me, it wasn't quite spicy enough, but that's not really a fault of the product, that's just my preference. Sunshine was smart enough to create another version of Cheez-Its for people like me, Cheez-Its "Hot and Spicy"! You can bet I'll be trying that soon, but for the casual snacker that wants a departure from regular Cheez-Its, but isn't a fan of strong spicy flavor, you may find that Cheeze-Its Pepper Jack flavor is just what the doctor ordered.

Video of the Week
At this point you've must have seen or at least heard about SNL's 40th Anniversary show. What's equally interesting to music fans is what happened after the show as told by Jimmy Fallon. Dang, wish I was there...
"..and then there was Paul McCartney..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!