Sunday, October 11, 2015

Cheez-It Hot and Spicy


They spent the money to use the Tabasco name!

The Attraction:
Who doesn't love Cheez-Its? For awhile, they were one of the few savory alternatives I had to potato chips. How can you improve upon cheese-flavored crispy crackers? How about tossing in some spice? Count me in...

The Review:
Early this year I reviewed one of Cheez-It's line of Crunched products. Although it left some things to be desired, I was open to see if the Hot and Spicy variation would translate better to it's original cracker.

As I open the box, I could smell the scent of the jalapenos exuding from the Cheez-Its. My fear of the Cheez-It's people just throwing some spicy red pepper flakes or paprika on it and calling it Hot & Spicy seem to dissipate after that. Just the smell alone would lead me to believe they put some more time into this. I shove my hand into the box and pull out a cracker and take another good whiff. If that's not the smell of jalapenos, I'm not sure what is. It's not quite the smell of Tabasco, but this might be better than I was expecting.

I take a bite and the flavor is far more complex than the sprinkling of spicy seasoning on a regular Cheez-It. The "Hot and Spicy" flavor seems to be really incorporated into the cracker itself. One second it's the familiar Cheez-It flavor, the next its a new and unexpected twist towards spicy and then the original Cheez-It flavor returns again. It's more than just a "Hot" Cheez-It; they took the time to focus on the spicy part as well.

Its like a handful of Sunshine!

The Sweet:
The Cheez-It flavor and crunch you've come to expect masterfully incorporated with spicy flavoring that adds depth and complexity.

The Bitter:
If you are looking for the type of spice and heat to set your face on fire, you won't find it here.

How can anything the size of a stamp taste so good?
Conclusion:
Cheez-It Hot and Spicy is an intriguing product; I've come to expect these spicy variations to be just the same as the original plus heat, but this variation takes the flavor profile to another level. Instead of creating Spicy-Nacho Doritos from Nacho-Cheese Doritos, the finish product tastes something more like a whole new flavor altogether. It's a pleasant surprise and one that will give me pause the next time I want Cheez-Its; how will I decide which flavor to reach for?

Video of the Week
I recently was listening to Prince's new album HITnRUN Phase One, specifically the smooth grooving 1000 X's and O's when I decided to do some digging around the Net to see what other little treasures I could uncover by him. That's when I came across this video of James Brown performing at the Beverly Center. Towards a break in the performance, he calls to stage Michael Jackson and then Prince! MJ does a little something and then Prince comes on stage and just about brings the house down, just not quite in the way you are thinking.

If I didn't see it, I wouldn't have believed it

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!