Sunday, September 27, 2015

Calbee Honey Butter Chips

"Oh no you didn't!" said the sassy potato

The Attraction:
How could I not immediately follow up on my last review of Haitai's Honey Tung Tung chips with a review of their partner /competitor's chips? This could be a battle for the ages like Coke vs Pepsi, McDonald's vs Burger King, Mario vs Donkey Kong. "Let's get ready to RUMMMMMBLLLEE!"

The Review:
As you may recall, the initial Honey Butter chip craze was started when snack makers Haitiai from S. Korea and Calbee from Japan said to each other, "Yo playa, you and me need to do a snack collabo!" and after some time passed, they started makin' paper like Bey and Jay-Z when their product, "Honey Butter Chips" finally caught on in S. Korea. Since then, both snack makers have tried making a go of it by releasing their own line of honey butter chips. Haitai released Honey Tung Tung and Calbee countered with their own version of the popular flavored chip. (They also still make the original Honey Butter Chips version together, btw)

I open the bag and take a deep inhale, "Butter again, but different somehow." I think to myself. It smells similar to these Coconut Butter Cookies. It must be the combination of butter and sugar on these chips that make them smell the same. I also visually notice that unlike the Haitai version of the chips, these follow the conventional definition of "potato chip".

I anxiously take my first bite from a chip. The flavor is more pronounced, especially the sweetness. Like the Haitai version, it's not overly sweet, but it is sweeter than it's Haitai counterpart. The chips are crispy, but it is still a bit difficult for me to associate sweetness with a potato chip. I've spent my whole life in the US eating savory chips. When you have one that is a bit sweet, it feels unusual. The butter and honey flavors seem to compliment each other, but where as the Honey Tung Tungs neutralize each other and leaves you with a cleaner finish, this version feels more like two combatants in your mouth fighting to the end.

"Only popular chips in..."wait, I said that already

The Sweet:
Another good variation of the "hot" new flavor around town. As with most Japanese chips, the flavors are delivered on a very crispy, yet not oily feeling chip.

The Bitter:
Sweet chips? It took some time to adjust. What's next, a salty Oreo?

That's one big potato I came from
Conclusion:
Both versions of the Honey Butter Chips have their advantages, but those characteristics can easily be seen as disadvantages as well by certain snack lovers. Haitai's, more subtle flavor, may come across as too weak to some whereas Calbees, stronger flavored version, may be seen as too overpowering. Some may also prefer the alternate snack shape of Haitai's, while others may flock to the the conventionally shaped potato chip that Calbee offers. I can see how those rivalries I mentioned earlier are so divided; everyone's taste preference can vary so greatly.

As for me, well, I like the more delicate approach of Haitai's Tung Tungs. It now does beg the question of how the original Honey Butter Chips compare against these snack makers solo ventures. I'll have to get my hands on a bag soon, but this review isn't about which of the three versions are the best. Despite my many comparisons, it's really about how does Calbee's Honey Butter Chips stand on it's own as a snack. I will say this, after eating so many of these Honey Butter flavored snacks recently, I won't be charging down the snack aisle anytime soon trying to hunt any of these individual versions down, but with some time, I wouldn't mind an occasion visit from the Calbee Honey Butter chip fairy....but I'm thinking it might be closer to Christmas before I'm ready for another round.

Video of the Week
I'm not a "recreational-distractions" kind of guy. I've always been too scared at the idea of getting too into anything, other than snacks, that is. So when this guy tries to sell people on the virtues of an acrylic water pipe, it didn't make sense to me....until the end. Now I know what I've been missing.

I can just tell his sales will catch fire!

2 comments:

  1. Excellent piece of writing. I think i would instead use
    writing
    of publishing photos on my tumblr blog. Originally
    thats all I needed
    to do, but I believe professional written content as if you
    have
    this is actually the strategy to use. Many thanks for providing me some cool ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm understanding you correctly, I think you are thanking me and stealing my ideas. Well, that's OK. Good luck and send traffic my way. If anyone asks, I'll just say I got the idea from your site. It's brilliant! It's a win-win!

      Delete

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!