Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Combos 7 Layer Dip Tortilla

No more referencing Combos!
The Attraction
After all my talk recently of other snacks that resemble Combos (see here and here), I just couldn't take it anymore. I had to go out and buy some Combos! Here's the catch, I could just get the flavors I grew up on like Cheddar and Pizza, but how would that fit into my snack blog? Well, I actual could have, but I thought it might be more interesting to try one of their new offerings.....7 Layer Dip!

The Review:
I was pretty excited to get a pack of Combos, even though I haven't had this flavor before. It's been about 4-5 years since I had any. I don't know why exactly I stopped eating them, I just did. Well, those days are gone. The drought is over!

I open the bag and immediately the smell of tacos come rushing out like a parade for my nose. I know it says "7 Layer Dip" and I'm not sure how different that smell is to tacos, but I smell tacos! I pick a Combo up and exam it. No salt on the shell of these. The original ones have a pretzel shell, while these don't. After looking at the packaging again, I see the word "Tortilla" on the bag. OK, Combos, this better still be good.

"Welcome home my little friends!"

I pop one nugget in my mouth and the saltiness of the dusting on the outside of the Combo presents itself. Then as I crunch into the "tortilla" shell, I encounter the creamy filling that brings on the 7 layer dip flavor. I can't exactly taste all 7 layers or even know what they are, but I keep coming back to a taco. A taco with some salsa on in that could use a little more cheese, but don't worry about the pretzel element being missing here 'cause the filling really jacks up the sodium level in this little snack parade. Maybe I should have another for good measure. 

It's like the good old days, sorta

The Sweet:
Taste like a taco in a half an inch cylinder

The Bitter:
Could use a little more cheese flavor and a shade less salt.

Conclusion:
I still miss the pretzel shell that I grew up eating, but these Combos 7 Layer Dip Tortilla are plenty salty enough on their own. They don't need the extra help. Although I will always be loyal to the flavors of my youth, I enjoyed this new flavor more than I expected. Truthfully, I begrudgingly grabbed these instead of the Combo Cheddar flavor I so craved at that time, but in the end I can see these Combos make a return to my snack library.....that is if Combos Cheddar and Pizza were sold out.

Video of the Week 

These E-cigs are so much safer.

I've never been a smoker, thankfully, but if I were, I can see how there might be a draw towards E-Cigarettes. They are easy to carry around, you can smoke them indoors without people being as offended and no open flame...well, maybe only in your pants pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!