Sunday, March 20, 2016

Honchos Peach Habanero

Cause you just couldn't wait to scratch
that "peach habanero" itch
The Attraction
Just because it's not everyday you see this combination. I can't wait until they release their next flavor, "banana dingleberry". 

The Review:
I really wasn't looking necessarily to review something quite so "out of the box", but I have to fess up, this flavor combination caught my eye. It's not everyday a chip manufacturer add a fruit flavor to something savory and then tosses in some spice on top of that. Whether it's a hit or a miss, one thing is for sure; I doubt I will say, "Oh, this taste just like..."

After wondering aloud if the flavor is "peach habanero" as in a type of habanero or "peach + habanero", I figured out that I've never heard of peach and habanero used together, so it much be peach + habanero. I know, I know, who doesn't know that there isn't such a thing as a peach habanero? Come on, there are banana peppers, so is a peach habanero really that far of a stretch? I digress...

I open the bag of chips and peer inside. As sure as the photo illustrates outside the bag, these chips bare a striking resemblance to the big "D". Down to the color. Actually, they are a little more cool ranch color than the nacho variety, but could they possibly be as tasty?

"Umm...have we met before?"


I pick up a chip and dive in. The first flavor that steps up is a slightly sweet flavor. It remarkably starts off exactly like a "Cool Ranch D", but just as quickly as I can place that flavor, the sweetness keeps going and exceeds that of a standard nacho chip. It then turns savory before the habanero drops the leg on you. It's not an exceedingly spicy flavor, it's more of a "back-of-your-throat" burn, but it's present. This schizophrenic flavor ride is delivered to you courtesy of a crispy corn chip that is identical to that of a....a...(I promised myself I wouldn't say that snack because that "snack" is such a favorite of people's, including myself, that almost no snack similiar could live up to that expectation) 

"Oh,no. You must have mistaken me for
someone else."

The Sweet:
Intriguing flavor combination, yet...

The Bitter:
...it's an emotional rollercoaster for your taste buds

Conclusion:
It's almost like dating someone that looks like your first love. On the outside, they sort of look the same and could actually pass for the person, but once they start talking and interacting with you, it's clear they are not the same hunk or babe you were crushing on way back in the day. That's a good and bad thing for these Honchos. I respect them for being bold and not going down that well treaded snack path littered with cheese flavors, but at the same time, this combo was just too ambitious for my taste buds.

Video of the Week 

That's why I have such strong forearms!
Phew, I thought it was from all that 
exercising
(I really want to put quotes around 
exercising, but this is a family website)

This week's video involves some of the extra things we have grown out of as humans have evolved. Unless we are around a buffet, in which case all bets are off and all those animal instincts come back instantaneously, but that's a video for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!