Sunday, March 13, 2016

Oreo Red Velvet

There goes another year of not seeing my abs....again.
The Attraction
Yes, I have a problem. If it says Oreos on it, there is a 98% certainty that I will purchase it. Nabisco, just take my wallet now.

The Review:
Recently the folks over at Oreo have been keeping me busy by releasing some interesting new flavors as of late. Some are limited releases like Toasted Coconut, Filled Cupcake and Brownie Batter to name a few. Others seemingly have jumped from a limited edition release into becoming a mainstay like Cinnamon Bun and this weeks review, Red Velvet. It's been tough at times to determine which flavor to try; do I pick the limited edition of something I'm not so excited about, but review it because it's limited or pick the one I want that might be around for awhile. I think you can tell which way I opted to go this week.

Upon opening up these Red Velvet Oreos, it was clear visually that the cookie wafers had a slight reddish tint to them. Not shockingly red, which I think was probably a good call, but certainly more of a red hue than the original Oreos. I wonder if they taste "red"?

C'mon, you really don't want one?

I pickup a lucky Oreo out of the bunch and take a bite. One of the things that never changes with Oreos is that great crispy snap of the cookie wafer when you bite into it. That is one Oreo standard you can always rely on in this Oreo line. The wafers essentially taste the same (maybe slightly less chocolaty, but that could also be psychosomatic because of the color), but with this flavor, the twist comes from the flavor of the filling. To be more specific, the cream cheese flavored filling.

Sure enough, as the creme filling hits my tongue, it has a distinctly different taste from your standard Oreo. In fact, that is where the "red velvet" flavor is hiding. After twisting off the wafer and just sampling the creme alone, it's clear that the creme is doing the heavy "flavor" lifting in this variation. It somehow does it's best to impart red velvet singularly without much help from the wafer twins. The creme captures the sweet cream cheese frosting vibe as well as well as somehow the taste of "red". I'm not sure how exactly as I don't know what "red" taste like, but to me, that flavor is in the mix. It does a pretty darn good job of it as well, might I say.

I still think the Thins are sexier  

The Sweet:
All the things you love about an Oreo, but with a red velvet-like cream cheese flavored filling!

The Bitter:
Taste like red velvet cake? Umm..sorta.

Conclusion:
Oreo does a much better job of trying to emulate the actual flavor that is emblazoned on the packaging. As much as I enjoyed the Cinnamon Bun flavored Oreos, it just didn't really remind me of an actual cinnamon bun. This time around, it is a lot closer. Although I've never jumped at red velvet flavored anything, I've never disliked it either. In the case of these Red Velvet flavored Oreos, it's not really how much they do or don't taste like the real thing; it's more of like how tasty these darn things are on their own.

Video of the Week 

I can't wait to go to my high school reunion
and bust out these moves!

This week's video features a young lady that taught herself how to dance dubstep by watching youtube videos all day. She also has a nice set of abs to go along with her smooth moves. I never wanted to be 12 year old girl so badly. (Just when I thought I would not ever say that phrase again)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!