Sunday, February 28, 2016

Lay's Potato Chips Thai Spicy Crab

I've been dying for a Thai Spicy Crab chip...not!
The Attraction
I love international flavor variations of conventional products that we have here in the States. It was only natural when I saw a Thai Spicy Crab version of Lay's potato chips that I felt compelled to give it a shot. Besides, who can turn down a Thai spicy crab flavor chip? ( I don't even know what it's supposed to taste like)

The Review:
I wasn't too keen on trying these chips because, well, I've never gravitated toward seafood flavored anything in a snack, but I thought, there can always be a first time for everything. I open the bag and there was almost no smell emanating from the package. No spicy, no seafood, no Thai (whatever that smells like).

Looks normal to me,
but people also once said that about Kanye


I pickup a chip and go to town. At first there's a sweetness to it. I wasn't expecting that, but once the sweetness peaks, it quickly kicks into it's salty 2nd act and then casually gives way to the spicy finale, all while the seafood flavor lays in the back snapping it's fingers keeping the pace for the rest of the players. The crunch is consistent with what you would expect from a Lay's chip, being international or domestic (although I do find the Asian international version to be less oily and slightly thicker).

As I go through several more chips, I start to try to remember what I reviewed recently that tastes like this. Ahh! I got it! It's like a less crunchy and seaweed-ish version of Tao Kae Noi Hi Tempura Seaweed Spicy Flavor. So if you are looking for something like that, but not seaweed based, you may have found a winner here!

Like Kanye, it's far from normal!


The Sweet:
Nice sweet heat delivered on a bed of seafood essence.

The Bitter:
Not everyone loves seafood flavor.

Conclusion:
It's clear that this was another marketing move to give a product a much more desirable flavor name than just "Spicy Seafood Flavor". Although I'm not a super seafood fan, "Thai Spicy Crab Flavor" sounds much more appetizing to me than the former.

For all the clever marketing ploys, it still boils down to the flavor. For me, I'm just not inclined towards seafood flavored snacks, but even with that, I did enjoy these chips. If you are a fan of such flavor, this could very easily find a spot in your snack pantry, perhaps next to your roasted seaweed and spicy dried squid.

Video of the Week 

They are coming...to eventually make us make them cars.

In case the video I shared with you a few months showing a robot on four "legs" running and bounding over obstacles without much issue didn't make you want to soil yourself, this week I present, Atlas, the biped robot that will stop at nothing to accomplish it's goal (watch the box lifting demo). Now substitute the box with you and put an Arnold face mask on the robot. Commence bladder release.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!