Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Milka Oreo

It's not my fault this time!
The Attraction
My friend Grace was kind enough to share with me a snack we've both been talking about recently, Milka Oreo!

The Review:
I know I've been on an Oreo trip lately and as much as I love the original and all the subsequent varieties that have followed, this was purely coincidental. I must say that I've had my eye on this little beauty for awhile, but I didn't have the nerve to say "hi". Leave it to my wing-woman to help me close the deal.

As you unwrap the chocolate from its packaging, this chocolate doesn't look much different from most other chocolates, although I think Milka does have a reputation for producing some of the smoother varieties. I break off a piece or bend off a piece, rather as the chocolate seems a bit softer than most.

When I take a bite, it's apparent why; under that initial coating of milk chocolate, the majority of the center of the bar consists of a creamy filling with bits of Oreos in there...and in case you are wondering, it's every bit as amazing as it sounds...in the right amounts.

Not to be confused with Minka

One of the drawbacks of the creamy core is that it lacks the typically rigidity you find in a conventional chocolate bar at a relatively cool temperature. In addition, as delicious as it is, the combination of the chocolate over the cream will easily send your blood sugar level to the moon. The mystery to me is what exactly is that cream core? Theoretically, it's supposed to be the equivalent to the cream filling an Oreo, but it's not quite that. I thought maybe it was white chocolate, but it's not that either. It's most likely a special blend Milka threw together just for this product. I'm not sure what it is, but I do know it's bad for your diabetes.


..although equally exciting in a different way

The Sweet:
Everything good you would imagine a chocolate Oreo mix would taste like.

The Bitter:
It's sweet, a little over the top sweet.

Conclusion:
If I worked at Milka, I would consider adding some more Oreo cookie bits in there to help arrest the sweetness of it (yes, it's so sweet that the cookie wafer seems to actually help mellow it out) and dial back the sweetness of that cream filling in the middle. I think they were trying to use the Oreo wafers like rice krispy bits to add some textural contrast, which was a good idea, but I think adding more might have been a better way to go as with anyone that has ever had an ice cream cake with Oreo crunchies can attest to.

Milka Oreo is good, but it could have been even more so if they were packaged in Hershey Kisses-like sizes because a full bar may prove to be too much of a good thing.

Video of the Week 

If you look carefully, you can see me grab a
shrimp off a person's plate with my teeth

As promised, this video shows how far we have come from those days when were we were living in a cave and fighting other people for food. Now we don't live in caves anymore.

I've never been prouder to be Chinese than after seeing this video. I mean come on, they're shrimp. How rare is it to see shrimp? They are like the unicorns of the ocean, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!