Sunday, February 7, 2016

Welchs PB&J Snacks Crunchy

Cause who doesn't love PB&J?

The Attraction
I was at a local discount retailer (ahem, 99 cent store, ahem) when I spotted these on line waiting to pay for my aluminum foil. I've been wanting to review snacks from a discount retailer for awhile to see if they would be any good. Although I really wanted to review an unknown brand, I thought this PB&J concept was too interesting to pass up.

The Review:
I take this bag of potential snack heaven home and open it. As quickly as I open it, the smell of peanut butter (pb) fills the air. "This could be good. Real good." I think to myself. I take a ball out and take a look at them. They have the appearance of a wall of pb, except for some spots of lighter color in them. That must be where the crunchy lives!

Looks almost like a Combos, but in ball form

I take hold of ball and bite. Surprisingly the ball of pb yields to my bite and reveals the "jelly" center. It was very different from my expectation. There was no "crunch" in my bite as the package had advertised. The pb outer was more like a waxy shell. As for the jelly center, it was just a grape flavored version of one of their fruit or "jelly" snacks.

In my mind, I was thinking a harder or crunchy pb shell and a jelly center that was more like a fluid or at least more jelly-like opposed to a purposed fruit snack. Either of those characteristics would have been a favorable element, but Welsh's took it a whole different direction.....and not a good direction.

"Oh...that was it?"
The Sweet:
I like the idea...

The Bitter:
...but the execution? Where's the "crunchy"?

Conclusion:
I really would like a portable snack that could capture the essence of PB&J. Although Welch's put forth a decent attempt, I think it ultimately misses the mark. Part of the joy of PB&J for me is the crunch of the savory peanut butter juxtaposed against the sweet moisture of the jelly. There was no crunch to be had and no moisture of  jelly in here. It looks like it's back to the good ole reliable between two slices of bread until snack makers get it right.

Video of the Week 
I love Taco Bell. Maybe more than a man that's trying to maintain his weight should. As much as I love them, it never occurred to me to buy a bunch of their products and reconstruct it to make a Taco Bell Lasagna like this gentleman did. I wish I could say that I'm totally grossed out. (psst...I'm not)

 "How can I get more calories into my body as quickly as possible?
Oh wait, I have an idea!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!