Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Snyder's of Hanover Hot Buffalo Wing

Rest in Pieces
The Attraction:
I don't hit Walmarts very often, but when I do, I usually see snacks there that I don't see in my usual supermarket. Last week, I came across a few products that I have never seen, like this one. I recently reviewed another Snyder's of Hanover product, Peanut Butter Pretzel Sandwich and was so pleased with that item, I was receptive to try another snack of theirs.

The Review:
As of late, I've been snacking my way through a bunch of products that have tried to emulate "animal" based foods such as Pringles Tangy Buffalo Wing, Kettle Brand Maple Bacon Chips, and Lay's Cheddar Bacon Mac and Cheese. Some did a better job than others, but I was convinced that these snacks would never be able to get over the texture chasm of eating an animal based protein no matter how crunchy or thick the chip was. That feeling is just too hard to emulate. With that said, I went into this with an open mind, but with low expectations.

I tear open the bag and a stand back for the scent to hit me...and it eventually does. The smell of a vinegar-based spice is very buffalo-wingesque to me, and these certainly deliver that much. I take a look into the bag and see the pieces in which these pretzels come in. After pulling several pieces out and examining them closely, it's obvious why these are in pieces; the seasoning that are applied won't stick to the pretzels outer shell, but will stick to the interior, non-baked sides of the pretzel. Brilliant idea and it makes total sense, but it takes some getting used to. You can't help but feel like someone has stomped on your bag of pretzels and you are left to literally pick up the pieces. I digress; enough of the science of this snack, we need to know how does it taste!

I pop in a few pretzel shards into my mouth and suddenly things get very familiar. The saltiness of the pretzel, the spice and alkaline flavor from the buffalo wing seasoning all bring to mind a night out with friends at the local watering hole with your favorite beverage in hand. The flavor is unmistakable and remarkably on target. What is even more astonishing is how well it works with pretzels. The hard multiple crunches needed to polish off a pretzel does a good job of tricking your mind into thinking it's chewing something more than just a carbohydrate with seasoning to make it taste like something else. The pretzel just makes it far more satisfying somehow.

On the heat-o-meter, this rates pretty mild. You won't be pouring water on your face to put out the flames, but it moves the needle.

Looks like the USPS handled these

The Sweet:
Great hot buffalo wing flavor. As close as the real thing I've had.

The Bitter:
Still takes some getting used to eating pieces of pretzels. It's almost like eating discounted snacks.

They got the color just about right

Conclusion:
One of my biggest gripes with these savory snacks that try to mimic actual "meat" products is the texture issue. It doesn't quite seem right because typically it's difficult to capture that mouth-feel of an animal product, but when you toss in the flavor you usually associate with such a dish and the texture and density of a pretzel, it is the surprising convincing. Short of carrying a buffalo wing in your pocket, this is as close as you are going to get to having the real thing in a snack form.

Video Rant of the Week
Usually I like to share an interesting video that I've come across that perhaps my readers would be interested in watching. This week, I'm doing the opposite. I'm posting a video that I absolutely hate. (and I hope my readers avoid)

Last week, there was a new trailer released for the upcoming "Superman Vs Batman: Dawn of Justice" movie. I was really excited to check it out, but when I did, I was extremely disappointed.

Why you may ask?

They reveal too much in the damn trailer!

Now, if you haven't seen the trailer, please avoid it if you plan to see the movie next year, cause I sure wish I did. Actually, I hate this trailer so much, I might avoid seeing the movie altogether to spite it.

Without going into too much detail, from the trailer you can sort out parts of the battle between Superman and Batman, why and approximately when they stop fighting each other, the origin of one of the villains, and when another superhero officially makes an appearance with them. I feel like I've actually seen the movie already. Arghh! I'm so angry just writing this.

If you must.....youtube it. I won't link it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!