Sunday, December 6, 2015

Meito Donut Party Chocolate

What will await me inside?
The Attraction:
There are a several words in my life that you chain together that will get my attention. Some examples are "Free hot pizza", "Large buttered popcorn" and "Tall Asian librarian". With the exception of that last one, they all relate to food, so when I was in the Asian grocery a few weeks back and saw this curious and festive looking package, I wondered what it was. I had to turn it over to read the translation: "Donut Party Chocolate". Ding.

The Review:
I haven't been this excited to try a snack in awhile. I thought to myself, "What on earth could this be?" I know what donuts are and I know what chocolate is, but are these mini-donuts that are all chocolate flavored or are they donut-flavored chocolates? Well, anyway, whatever the sequence may be, I don't think it can be bad.

I gently open the bag to ensure I don't disturb the "party" going on inside and peer in to see a bag of individually wrapped "donuts" with faces on them. Cute touch, but still, what the heck are these things? I do see that there are several flavors like strawberry, chestnut, banana, cookies and cream and chocolate.

It's almost like they were sleeping


As I take a few out for my customary photo op, I look closer and see that these are pieces of chocolate. OK, one questioned solved, but many more come pouring into my mind; do these chocolates actually taste like donuts with their advertised flavor? Are there any baked tidbits inside the chocolates themselves? Are these just donut-shaped chocolates in a variety of flavors?

This all can be easily solved.

I unwrap a strawberry flavored looking "donut" and take a bite. Yeah, I quickly get the answer to all my questions. These are essentially flavored chocolates. I like the different flavor choices you have, but this snack doesn't introduce anything new flavor-wise, although it's quite a unique presentation. Within the chocolate itself, there are these little bits of wafers to add some texture contrast, but primarily, it's composed of chocolate.

They even have faces on them!

The Sweet:
Cute presentation and idea. Multiple flavors add some variety.

The Bitter:
This was more like a chocolate social than a donut party. The only thing donut-like is the shape.

This don't taste like no donut!

Conclusion:
Half the fun of this product was trying to figure out what it was exactly...and unfortunately when you do, it's nothing really new. I can see how the presentation would be great for kids and the idea is really cute, but just on the premise of a being a snack, it's nothing innovative. It's like a lot less biscuit version of a Pocky and also a lot less of a party than I was hoping for.

Video of the Week
I don't know much about rugby and I know even less about Tongan culture, but last week rugby great Jonah Lomu passed away. Aside from how abrupt his passing was, what was notable was how beautiful of a send off his friends and family gave him. It provided some insight into the richness of Tongan and Maorian culture.

A warrior's send off

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!