Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Kettle Brand Thick + Bold Carolina BBQ Potato Chips


Thick+Bold = Good+Tasty?

The Attraction:
I was trying to pair up a bag of chips to go with my pesto chicken sandwich when I happened upon this little beauty. Let's see if adding adjectives to a flavor actually translates to something good.

The Review:
Not too long ago, I reviewed another Kettle Brand product, Maple Bacon Chips and although it didn't rock my world, I thought it was a nice attempt to expand it's flavor horizons. I'm hoping this bbq flavor variation pans out and hits closer to the bullseye.

I open the bag and do my standard whiff test. Nothing unusual, just the smell of something fried. Unusual considering that it's a bag of bbq flavored potato chips. I would have thought for sure there would be a stronger smell of bbq, but it was not to be. "Will the flavor be weak also?", I thought to myself. Too late now, the bag is open and there's only one thing left to do.

I pull out a thick cut chip and notice that even the chip itself doesn't have that customary reddish bbq color. Admittedly, this takes some getting used to. After years of eating bbq chips with added food coloring, it's a bit odd to have bbq chips that don't have a red hue to them. It's sort of like when you first had root beer that was clear. Probably better for you, but still an adjustment just the same.

I finally take a bite and as with the maple bacon flavor chip, immediately notice the super thick crunch on this chip. This chip means business. First the smoked component hits your taste buds and it's quickly followed by a slightly sweet flash, then caps it off with a savory finish. The sweet notes aren't quite as exaggerated as other bbq chips I've had, but this simplification of the bbq flavor seems to make the experience more refined. Less cliche and more substance. The thicker Kettle chip really grounds the whole product nicely. A lighter or thinner chip may have left the flavor floating in your mouth trying to find a home.

Funny, they don't look like bbq chips?

The Sweet:
Super thick, crunchy chip with a refined taste. No artificial reddish color! Non-GMO

The Bitter:
I get why the thicker chip, but I don't know if I can do a large bag's worth of chips these thick

It's so thick, I could pour a jar of salsa on this thing
and it would just laugh at me
Conclusion:
These ain't your Daddy's bbq chips. Kettle Brand Thick and Bold Carolina BBQ chips feels like a more mature, grown-up potato chip. I can see getting tired of eating chips this thick, but with the straight-forward, no-nonsense approach Kettle Brand Chips took on with this flavor, it couldn't have been any other way. Going thinner would have felt flighty and this is not a chip to be toyed with. Although I can see an occasional visit with a small bag, ultimately the thicker cut is it's undoing. A frequent visit or a purchase of a large bag is too much of a commitment for me and my promiscuous snacking habits.

Video of the Week
I'm not sure why this guy would think of this. There are bad ideas and then there are bad ideas. A bad idea is lighting fireworks in your apartment. A bad idea is lighting fireworks and pointing them at your nipples.

I think I have a great idea on my hands... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!