Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Marie Ange Di Costa Morbidi Torroncini Al Pistacchio

Ahh, just like being in Italy again

The Attraction:
Pistachios seem to be one of several popular nuts in Italy (hazelnut, almond and cashews are a few others), so it was only natural when I saw this bag of pistachio nougats begging me to take it home in the airport in Rome, that I take the bait. Well, I think we know how that turned out, don't we?

The Review:
While I was in Italy, I found a few gelato stands that served some amazing pistachio gelato. I'm going to go off on a bit of a tangent here, but the last time I had pistachio ice cream, it was in a form of a milk shake probably back in 1996 up around Oyster Bay, Long Island New York. I remember well because it was so tasty and bright green when I was drinking it....and not so tasty and bright green when it left me. I won't go into all the gory details, but that was a big part as to why I shied away from the pistachio flavored anything for awhile. This was as good as an excuse as any other to try pistachio flavored anything again.

I take a nougat out and tear open the wrapper it was sealed in. As I open it, there is a very subtle hint of pistachio flavor. I take a bite into the piece and I am pleasantly surprised how easily the nougat yielded to my bite. The texture of the nougat itself is more of a dense paste than a nougat I've been used to. The pistachio flavor greets me at the door, then shortly after the sugar wave starts to hit, except it keeps rising and rising, and rising...when will this sugar wave crest and finally crash?! Damn this thing is sweet!

Let me out!

The Sweet:
These nougats have a nice texture that isn't overly chewy 

The Bitter:
The sweetness doesn't stop...it's really sweet, no seriously...really sweet

Umm..pistachio..yay?
Conclusion:
Marie Ange Di Costa seems to make some pretty fancy treats in Italy. These nougats are no exception. Although they are seemingly well made, they are just too sweet for my taste. I was so distracted by the sugar level that I barely noticed the pistachio part of the description. I don't even know if I can even finish the rest of the bag. Which reminds me, the next time I'm in Italy and I got a hankering for pistachios, I'll just stick to the ice cream variety.

Video of the Week
The good people over at Motherboard have released an interesting video of one of their correspondents staying at a hotel exclusively staffed by robots. I don't know about you, but have you seen some of the people that work at the front desk of a hotel? We might not be able to tell the difference.

This is ridiculous, I demand a real dinosaur as my concierge!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!