Sunday, September 6, 2015

Wheat Thins Spicy Buffalo Flavor

Announcement!
This summer I've collected so many snacks that I need to increase the rate at which I review these items. So with that said, starting this week (September 9), I'll be updating the blog on Sundays and Wednesdays. Please check back twice a week to get your SneakASnack fix.

In addition, do you have any snack suggestions? Do you like it when I review more international snacks or do you prefer for me to keep it domestic? Enjoy the videos of the week? I would love to hear your thoughts on that and more. Please share them with me by completing the contact form on the lower right. I promise your email address won't be circulated anywhere.

Thanks! Now on to the review...


This looks like the spiciness could hurt me!
The Attraction:
Way back in December of last year, I reviewed another flavor variation from the Wheat Thins line. It made such an impression that when I casually came across the Spicy Buffalo flavored version of this favorite snack, I couldn't resist.

The Review
Upon opening the sealed bag these Wheat Thins were in, I couldn't detect a spicy smell. I grabbed a chip and quickly threw it into my mouth. I could tell immediately it wasn't like an ordinary Wheat Thin. The initial flavor was different; it was slightly sour and vinegary, which then gave way to the signature Wheat Thins flavor. It was only towards the end that I could sense a slight "burn" from the spicy buffalo flavor. After having a few more "thins", the heat level increased, but even at that, I still wouldn't call it spicy. If molten lava was the equivalent to the hottest thing you've ever had, this was more along the lines of that thing you put your coffee cup on at work in order to keep it warm. I was hoping for a XXX night and what I got was a peck on the cheek.

Please understand; although I enjoy eating spicy snacks on occasion, I certainly am not that guy that loves eating jalapenos raw or piles on tons of that spicy red sauce from the local halal stand. I would consider myself as a slightly spicy to medium spicy tolerant eater, at best, so when I say the Spicy Buffalo is mild, you can believe me when I say that it is. The heat is more like a mild irritant at the back of your throat when you finish the bite. It's anti-climatic, to say the least.

Slightly red tint on these Wheat Thins.

The Sweet:
The folks at Nabisco are able to keep the characteristic "Wheat Thins" flavor without having the spicy buffalo flavor dominate your taste buds. They are able to emulate the vinegar and slightly sour portion of a "tabasco"-like sauce.

The Bitter:
Despite the "scary" spicy artwork on the box promising some heat, the spicy buffalo is rather unremarkable.

It's only a matter of time before there is a 
bacon-flavored version like everything else, no?
Conclusion:
Oddly enough, having the Spicy Buffalo variation of Wheat Thins made me miss the original flavor more. Maybe it was because the spice wasn't particularly pronounced and it served as more of a distraction from the Wheat Thins-flavor that I came to love. In the end, Wheat Thins Spicy Buffalo flavor suffered from not being enough; not spicy enough, not different enough and unfortunately, just not good enough to earn a return visit to my snack cart.

Video of the Week
In a previous post, I mentioned how I wished to become a professional matchmaker. Admittedly, up to this point, I haven't exactly been setting the world on fire in that regard. Although I'm still hopeful, here's an idea that would perfectly tie two of my favorite things together; food and matchmaking.

Free food and a potential date? Who wouldn't sign up?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!