Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Tao Kae Noi Hi Tempura Seaweed Spicy Flavor


Aside for the fried and salted part,
does this qualify as a healthy snack?

The Attraction
I've seen this on the shelf several times before, but never compelled to buy it. Then recently a friend of the Little Lady's was kind enough to buy me a bag after I asked her what she enjoys snacking on. Consider my horizons expanded.

The Review:
I stared at the bag for a bit as I was initially not super excited to try these, but I had to know what this gal was talking about. I open the bag and the smell of seaweed comes to greet me. OK, no mistaken what this snack is about. Its seaweed and it wants you to know it's in town for the weekend.

I pick up a curious looking piece of seaweed which somehow they manage to dip into tempura. I'm not sure how someone would think of it, but the seaweed seems rather crispy in my hand.

This doesn't light my fire

I proceed to take a bite and a monstrous crunch comes echoing out of my mouth. The salt and seaweed flavor comes at you first and as you continue on in your bite, the spicy sidekick sneaks up on you and let's you know it can carry it's own weight.

At first, I thought they reminded me of fried shrimp chips, but as I ate several more pieces, it was definitely more seaweed in flavor than shrimp. What was surprising was the crunch I was able to generate from these fried and tempura-ed chips. These are no Doritos, but they aren't too bad.

...or does it?

The Sweet:
Great savory spicy flavor with a chip-like crunch.

The Bitter:
If you don't care for seaweed, you won't like these.

Conclusion:
Granted, these weren't at the top my list of snacks to try, but when I did, I was pleasantly surprised. Though they were better than I expected, I don't see myself picking up a bag of these on the regular. I've had seaweed based snacks before like...well, roasted and salted seaweed. They were good, but for me, seaweed just isn't a snack that I gravitate towards. So if you love seaweed, you will enjoy these. If you are indifferent or less than interested, you would probably be better served looking down other aisles for your snack fix.

Video of the Week 
In this week's video, a woman finds protein in her prepackaged salad. Good thing it's been triple washed otherwise she would have really been grossed out.

 As if we needed another reason to not eat salad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!