Sunday, September 4, 2016

Chips Ahoy Thins

 
Something old, something new,
something borrowed, something blue...3 out of 4 ain't bad

The Attraction
Since I was so infatuated with the Oreo's version of these "Thins", I wanted to see if all "Thin" versions make everything better

The Review:
Yes, I've reviewed a few Chips Ahoy products in my day, such as this and this and I have also reviewed a "Thin" product like this before, but will the "Thin" theory still ring true on a non-Oreo branded product, like a Chips Ahoy Thins? Lets find out

As I peel back the package of cookies, I can immediately see the "thin" version of these treats sitting in the familiar cookie tray. It must be said, that I prefer, by a substantial amount, the chewy version of these snacks. Well, actually, I prefer a chewy version of almost any snack vs. a drier, crispier version. That's just my preference, but I will suspend this preference, for you, my snacking public.

It's pretty obvious when I take a cookie out, that these thinner cookies are about half that of the original variety. In my mind, I can see the machine in the factory that squirts the dough onto the pan do so at half the time they would with the original version. I don't know why exactly that would come to mind. Maybe too many episodes of Unwrapped.

Maybe if I stare at this long enough,
I can convince myself these are good for me

Anyway, I bring a cookie up to my mouth and take a bite. As expected, there is a crispy crunch and the familiar Chips Ahoy flavor comes marching through my mouth like parade down Main Street. The "Thins" version of these cookies certainly didn't impact the flavor, but much like the affect it had on the Oreos, the thinning of these cookies somehow makes them better.

It streamlines the flavor profile and makes the bulkier original seem cumbersome and excessive. These thins are able to deliver the flavor you want in a far more efficient and laser-like focus to your taste-buds. It's amazing what halving a cookie can do to a snacking experience.


Half the size, half the calories, twice the consumption!

The Sweet:
Crisp, familiar flavor, but in a new, sleek cookie model

The Bitter:
They aren't chewy (OK, I still have a bias towards chewy cookies)

Conclusion:
As I write this, I can't help but think that perhaps the folks at Nabisco are marketing geniuses; perhaps a few years back, they were trying to make a "lite" version of these cookies for the more health conscious crowd, but being that much of the public doesn't care for "lite" versions of snacks, they decided to do a paradigm shift and calls these "Thins" not as in you "Thins", but as in the cookies are "Thins". Along the way they found out that you can still have the same great flavor you crave in an Oreo or in this case a chocolate chip cookie, but do so with half the size (and half the calories) and half the ingredients, but charge the same amount. It's brilliant!

Now, that's just a conspiracy theory, but I think a plausible one at that. Even with that said, whatever the origins or original intent was for these products, it is undeniable that they somehow improved upon a classic.

Video of the Week

One day...one day...

After taking some time off from working out, I started up again a few weeks ago. Now, granted I feel and look better, but I can't help but wonder after watching this video, how much more working out I would need to do to do the things this guy, Simon Ata, does in his video. It's a mix of strength body-weight moves, gymnastics and break dancing. Maybe, just maybe, eventually I will be able to do the body-weight and gymnastics stuff....and that's just a firm maybe...the break dancing part however requires rhythm and that's just something all the time in the world wouldn't help, just like this guy


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!