Sunday, September 25, 2016

Royce Baton Cookies Coconut

What is a "baton cookie" exactly?

The Attraction
This week I was invited to the opening of the new Toto showroom in NYC. In case you aren't familiar with Toto, they are the Japanese manufacturers of cool toilets, washlets, sinks and faucets. In addition to having a showroom full of cool bathroom stuff, they also had some Japanese treats for visitors to enjoy...one being these Royce Baton Cookies. 

The Review:
I didn't really think anything was special about these cookies when I first saw them laid out on a plate inside a mock bathroom in the Toto showroom, but then two of my colleagues ran over and said,  "Royce!? These must be good!" Apparently after some research, it turned out that Royce is a pretty well known and respected confectionery originally from Hokkaido, Japan.

OK, so now I really have to try one.

I open an individually sealed cookie and immediately catch a whiff of the coconut portion of the baton cookie. It's pretty coconut smelling. Personally, I have a very complicated relationship with coconuts; I enjoy the flavor and bits of  coconut here and there, but I've never been a fan of any cake or pastry that highlights a lot of coconut shavings. It was just too coconut-ty for me...so when I smelled the coconut from the cookie...I was a bit apprehensive.
My under carriage hides a chocolate delight 

As I slide the cookie out of it's plastic wrapper, I notice the chocolate coating on the bottom of the cookie. That is a good sign as I previously had some Royce chocolate and it was very smooth. I had no doubt that the chocolate on these cookies would be equally as good.

I take a bite and as I go several chews into the snack, I realize how clever Royce was to dip the underside in it's delicious chocolate. It serves as the gateway flavor to the cookie itself, but more importantly it helps the snacker gently ease into the coconut flavor within the cookie itself. The Baton Cookie strikes a nice balance between the chocolate side and the coconut essence throughout the rest of the snack, but even with that....it redlines my coconut meter.

"Oh, don't forget my coconut flavor, baby!"

The Sweet:
Royce chocolate is tasty!

The Bitter:
...but you still got to like coconut

Conclusion:
There's no doubt that Royce put some care and thought into these cookies. They are well made and the chocolate that is partnered with the coconut is very smooth and delicious, but for me, it's still more coconut than I care for.

If you are a fan of Almond Joy or Mounds (both contain shredded coconut), this might be right up your alley, but as the guy that avoids those mini bars in a mixed Halloween bag like the plague, my love for Royce Baton Cookies Coconut was never meant to be.

Video of the Week


Can you transform the poop that just
formed in my pants into something cool?

In the future when these things try take over the world and wipe us off the face of the earth, we now have another kind of robot that we can use to protect us and save human kind....but it would help tremendously if they could transform a little faster and actually do something useful other than change from one thing to another.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!