Sunday, September 18, 2016

Chuang Jia Square Cookies


I must be very Americanized cause
this packaging doesn't excite me at all

The Attraction
I had a friend recently return from Taiwan where he was kind enough to share one of his favorite cookies from that country...Chuang Jia Square Cookies. Apparently there are pretty famous over there. Will my taste buds understand why?

The Review:
Although I am appreciative that my friend Eugene shared this snack with me, I can't say upon seeing this product that I was anxious to tear open the package and review it. To me, the branding seemed very ordinary. I never would have picked it up if I saw it at the grocery store, yet when I showed the little lady these cookies, she immediately recognized it and said how very famous they were in Taiwan. OK, now I am intrigued.

I open one of the sealed packages and was not quite able to decipher any smell from the biscuits, which made me even more curious. Would it be sweet? Savory? Why do these cookies have those brown spots on it?

...getting a little more excited

I pick up a cookie and it feels very light. Almost like a Saltine cracker. I go ahead and take a bite. Just as it felt in my hand, the cookie cracked and crumbled just like a thicker Saltine cracker, except it was sweet, not savory. Flavor-wise, it reminded me of something I've had in the past. It took me a few more cookies to put my finger on it. It tastes like a mix of a graham cracker and a coconut cracker like these Khong Guan Butter Coconut Cookies.

Most of the Western hemisphere knows what a graham cracker tastes like, but if you've never had a butter coconut cookies before, they are a light, crispy, slightly sweet cookie that is very tasty. I like graham crackers and I like butter coconut cookie, so does that mean therefore, I like these cookies? Well, yes, but it's not quite that simple.

What on earth will these taste like?

The Sweet:
Not too sweet tasty, crispy treat.

The Bitter:
Seems very familiar.

Conclusion:
These Chuang Jia square cookies are good, but they are also very similar to the other two types of cookies I mentioned earlier, so what does that mean exactly? If' you've never had a butter coconut cookie, then yes, it's worth you tasting these cookies. If you've had previously, like I have, it may just result in you thinking that these cookies taste like butter coconut cookies and how you wish you had those in your hand. How much you enjoy these cookies will probably be dictated by which camp you are in. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

Video of the Week


"Next week on Today, Molly Ringwald will be here
discussing her new career in the UFC

There are many great movies I remember from my childhood. Movies like Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, The Three Amigos and The Goonies. Although after watching this performance from Corey Feldman last week, suddenly I think if One-Eyed Willy were here, he would poke out his other eye.....maybe even his ears too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!