Sunday, September 11, 2016

Sun Chips Garden Salsa


Sun Chips, they are like the
healthier evil twin of Doritos


The Attraction
I'm a big fan of Sun Chips Harvest Cheddar. I almost exclusively only eat that flavor of Sun Chips. Recently my office bought a variety pack which contained....Garden Salsa! I've been eyeing that flavor for awhile. No time like the present to try a new flavor!

The Review:
I wasn't too sure what to expect when I opened the bag of Garden Salsa. Yes, I know what Garden Salsa means, but what does that specifically mean in chip form? Will they somehow try to capture the onion, pepper, tomato essence in a prepackaged process product? If so, how effectively will they be able to do it? Based on the packaging, they were not shying away from the tomato and pepper aspects of a garden salsa.

I carefully open the bag of chips and dip my face into the bag. There is a scent there, but I can't quite put my finger on it. It smells vaguely familiar. Perhaps it's an oniony / slightly peppery smell.

If I were to make a dollhouse out of chips,
I would use these for the shingles

I go ahead a pick up a wavy-square Sun Chip from the bag and take a bite. The crunch is familiar and the taste, surprisingly was as well. It starts off very much like a mild version of a Doritos Cool Ranch chip at first. As the bite progresses, it lightens up even more from there and dissipates. That seems very much like a "Sun Chip" signature; a light flavor in comparison to most other chips.

After a few more chips, I begin to feel the pepper or jalapeno aspect of the "Garden Salsa". It's a slow mild burn that happens at the back of your throat. It's not a "the house is on fire" burn, it's more of a "hmm...did you feel something?", kind of a subtle burn. That's not very "Sun Chips" ish...and I like it.


You can see all the salsa goodness fried in there

The Sweet:
A healthier, yet tasty version of a corn chip. It's a win-win!

The Bitter:
It doesn't feel as guilty as most snacks do.

Conclusion:
Sun Chips aren't the brand of snacks that are looking to overpower your taste buds with it's flavor. They don't try to wine and dine you and shower you with lavish gifts so you can fall in love with it. They are more like that person you meet and becomes friends with at first and as you spend more time with them, you begin to realize how great they are. I'm still at the early phase with my "relationship" with Sun Chips Garden Salsa, but if history is any indication of what's to come, there could be a long term commitment ahead of me.

Video of the Week
Save the world, discover a cure for a disease;
why would I want to do that when I can mess with this all day?

Do you feel restless? Like you can't sit still? Peer at your mobile phone endlessly just to find something to do on it just for the sake of it? Well put down your cell phone, there's a new distraction in town! I introduce to you....the Fidget Cube! This is ridiculous....and I can't wait to get my hands on one. (Did you see that switch thingy? Man, I'll be flipping that thing all day)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!