Sunday, June 26, 2016

Oreo S'mores

Oreos, what are you trying to do to me!?

The Attraction
Oreos new flavor + Me = going home with new Oreos

The Review:
Oreos and I have a love / hate relationship. I love to eat 'em, but hate what they do to my midsection. Even at that, when an iconic cookie like this comes out with new flavors, you have to stand up and take notice. Yes, yes, I have been a sucker for many of Oreos new iterations of it's cookie. Whether it be Red Velvet, a "Thin" version or good ole' Peanut Butter, I have been there for Oreo every step of the way. Minus the occasional misstep, Oreo's cookie game has been on point. Will they keep on keeping on or will they take a slip? Let's find out.

In case you don't know me, I can be cheap when it comes to snacks sometimes. I've had my eye on these for awhile, but I waited until these were on sale. As luck would have it, I got these essentially for a 2 for 1 price, but then I happened to have been abstaining from sweets for a month due to a co-worker roping me in...etc, etc....so basically I've been staring at these in my pantry for a month waiting for the clock to tick down. I was pretty psyched to sample these.

You can see a hint of that creme swirl


I peel open the package and the sweetness of these cookies come pouring out. I couldn't quite pinpoint the smell other than it being sweet. I bet it was the smell of graham crackers from the cookie shell. I also then immediately noticed how the creme filling was a swirl as opposed to most other one flavored cookie sandwiches they offer. I guess that would make sense as they need to emulate the flavor of marshmallows and chocolate. Visually, it's a clever thing to do. It makes these Oreo S'mores feel much more like a "S'more".

Better view of the creme concoction

I pick out a lucky Oreo and take a bite. I can tell quickly that the cookie shell is the same graham flavor composition used in the Red Velvet Oreo. It tastes as good as I remembered. Next, the white creme slides in and even though it's supposed to be marshmallow-flavored, it's the same creme filling you find in a Oreo. Not a bad thing, but interesting to note.

This is what a cookie trying to look sexy looks like

When the chocolate creme kicks in, it definitely throws a nice monkey wrench in the works. As a consequence of it's presence, even though it adds another dimension to the cookie, it also adds a richness to it as well. Don't get me wrong, it tastes great, but it makes you oh so aware that you are eating a cookie...and not a "it'll do your body good" one either. You might hit your cookie max at 3-4, if you are like me. It also doesn't taste like a s'more, but it does taste good.

The Sweet:
All the textural things you love about Oreo, but now in S'mores flavor!

The Bitter:
A bit more rich than the standard Oreo

Conclusion:
You have to hand it to the folks at Oreo; they are brilliant. They invest the time to make other flavors and then figure out how they can leverage those new flavors to make other flavors. Somehow they are able to do this while maintaining what makes an Oreo an Oreo, yet still bring something fun and interesting to the table. Oreo S'mores are no exception.

At this point, it's almost like when you find "the" suit or dress. You know, the one that fits just right and makes you feel like a million bucks? Then you look around some more and find out that they offer the same outfit in other colors or patterns you love. Did you ever really stand a chance to not buy in? Ring me up, I'm sold...but I'll have to put it on lay-away.

Video of the Week 

"How about you get your own damn slippers, Dave?"

Yes, the folks over at Boston Dynamics are at it again, As if this robot wasn't scary enough, they have created a robot pet that can do cool/scary things like climb stairs, right itself when it falls over, and get you a beer. I'm perfectly fine to get my own beer if it means I won't wake up in the middle of the night with my throat in its jaws. These robots remind me of something...oh, I remember now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!