Sunday, July 3, 2016

Bissli Pizza

Anything pizza-flavored must be good, right?

The Attraction
On the heels of my Bissli exploration, I came across this pizza flavored variation.I needed a third review for a tie breaker.

The Review:
Recently I've reviewed Bissli's Falafel and BBQ snacks. One I loved, the other not so much. I wondered if the hit was a fluke or the dud out of the norm, so when I saw a pizza flavored snack they made, I thought this would be a good chance to tip the scale one way or the other.

When I saw this package, I immediately thought of the one of the few other pizza-flavored snacks I loved growing up; Combos Pepperoni-Pizza flavored! I can't tell you much I loved Combos as a kid growing up. I could devour a bag of either those or the Cheddar Cheese flavor without much effort. I was thinking this could be a similiar product. That's setting the bar pretty high.


I look like some dice from 2 centuries ago.


I pull open the bag and see if I can discern a smell of any sort...nope...maybe a fried scent, but nothing that seemed to indicate the flavor within the bag. I pour out a few "cubes" into my hand. Like the falafel and bbq snacks before it, these deviated from the conventional "chip" shape. In this iteration, the folks at Bissli opted to go with a quartered cube look. If the past was any indication of what to expect, these cubes should be darn crunchy.

I look like cereal in this light

I pop two square into my mouth and bite down. As I expect, they delivered with high marks on the crunch factor. No matter the shape, all of Bissli's snacks have a great textural crunch to them. However, that's not where their shortcomings lie. Flavor-wise, there's very little there that is reminiscent of pizza at all. They taste like salted crunch cubes. I don't recall at any point getting a hint of cheese, tomato sauce or anything that remotely reminded me of pizza...well, maybe the crunchy crust that doesn't have any sauce on it. If that's the pizza flavor they were going for, they hit that right on the nose.

The Sweet:
Great crunch.

The Bitter:
What pizza taste?

Conclusion:
I tend to believe that Bissli's Falafel was their one hit wonder. Their "pizza" flavored offering just doesn't delivery any of the wonderful flavors you come to expect when you associate the word "pizza" to something.

I think pizza is so universally beloved that when you decide to put that flavor on a product, you better be sure you can delivery because anything less than is a huge disappointment. My advice? Stick to the Combos.

Video of the Week 

"I"m Kevin Hart in high school?"

If you've seen the recent video of Kevin Hart and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson doing a role reversal interview while on tour promoting their movie "Central Intelligence" you can see how much fun these guys can be. I think they are much more fun being themselves then in their movie, unfortunately. As further proof in this video where they do some further role reversal. (The fun begins at about the 2 minute mark)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!