Sunday, October 12, 2014

Oreo Mini Peanut Butter

"Mini, unlike my belly"

The Attraction:
I was always curious about some of the alternate flavor of Oreos, but sometimes didn't want to commit to buying a whole pack of Oreos in case I didn't like it or felt obligated to eat the whole thing. Well, worry no more, thanks to this snack portion "Big Bag" I am now able to sample Nabisco's new offerings without the guilt. For 88 cents, even if it was awful, it was only 88 cents. OK, count me in.


The Review
I can barely contain myself when I saw a basket of these at the local grocery store. Being a fan of peanut butter and Oreos, it was a no-brainer. I take these mofos home and tear open the bag and the smell of peanut butter fills the air. Being a smaller portion also helped me feel less guilty about it all, so I jump in with complete abandonment. Even at the smaller size, the flavor is familiar. With the twist of pb in the middle, I find that it actually isn't as sweet as a conventional Oreo. The peanut butter flavored cream brought to mind a "Nutter Butter", but still not as sweet (which is a good thing) and also not as peanut buttery (also another good thing in this case).


"I am a dime-sized dynamo"

The Sweet:
Nabisco knows it's cookies...and they are smart to continue to experiment with different flavors with one of their signature lines, the Oreo. This iteration with a peanut butter filling is a nice combination. It doesn't overwhelm you with pb flavor and strikes just the right balance. The slight saltiness of the pb cream helps tame the sweetness of the cookie shell and vice-versa. This "Big Bag" size with the minis is the perfect amount.

Just the right size..and portion.
The Bitter:
Although I enjoyed this product, I wouldn't say it's good enough for me to go out and buy a pack of the full size version. This size and portion is just enough for me. Would I buy this "snack size" portion again? That I would, but the larger version may be too much of a good thing for me.

Conclusion:
I love that Nabisco offers these smaller portion size servings. Although I'm sure it's more to give the ability to the public to grab a smaller, portable size package of it's products, I use it more as a chance to sample the products without the full commitment of purchasing the larger serving of an item. How does this variation compare to the original, you may ask? I think what in part makes the original so good is the sweetness of the cream filling and although I noted that I find it good that this item isn't as sweet, it also makes it less memorable. I also think it is a balancing act since there are so many other items Nabisco offers with similar flavor combinations.Too much peanut butter flavor, you lose the Oreo essence of the cookie and you think solely of a Nutter Butter, too weak of a peanut butter flavor, you risk alienating Reese's fans that purchased this item to get a hit of PB in their mouth. I think they took this item as far as they could while being true to the brands associated to it. It's good enough to eat, not good enough to obsess over.

Video of the Week
This one goes back a bit, but I just discovered it. Tired of the same ole same ole when you are at home eating? Try one of these combos and let me know how it goes. Some sound ok, others, I don't get...like the one below..but I might just try anyway. Who else, but Buzzfeed would think of such a thing?

This sounds....dangerous

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!