Sunday, April 17, 2016

Oreo Chocolate Cake Strawberry

 What? Another Oreo product?
The Attraction
It said Oreo on it.

The Review:
As of late, I've been reviewing quite a bit of Oreo branded treats like this Milka Chocolate bar or these Red Velvet Oreos, so I took a break. Then I saw these at my local Asian grocer and my plans went out the window.

My best guess as to what Oreo Japan's new offering is their answer to the very popular Choco Pies in Asia. Maybe they are looking to hone in on some of that hot choco pie action. Let's see how they do with that.

I open the package and within, I see 6 individually wrapped Oreo Chocolate Pies. That seems to be a common practice with many snacks in Asia and I dig it. It keeps the snacks nice and fresh. I open up one of the packs and pull out an Oreo Chocolate Pie. As you can see below, it's oddly plastic-looking. It strongly resembles a plastic Oreo chew toy for a dog or a fake Oreo cookie novelty. Not sure how I feel about it, but I do catch a whiff of that signature strawberry smell that all Asian snacks that have strawberry flavor seems to have. Good to know that even the plastic looking shell couldn't contain that fruity aroma.

They look like a plastic Oreo chew toy

I bring it up to my mouth and finally take a bite. The texture reminds me less of a choco pie and more of a Mallomars. It has a great marshmallow-like chewy texture. However as I get lost in the texture of the bite, it dawns on me that what is also lost is the flavor. I taste a hint of strawberry, a little chocolate, but no signature flavor of an actual Oreo. It's really odd, because as I take another bite, I can barely taste much of anything; that includes strawberry, chocolate or cream.

Now, I've previously mentioned that I've noticed that snacks that originate from Asia tend to be milder due to different flavor preferences, but these...these almost literally have no flavor at all.

..and they almost taste like it

The Sweet:
I really enjoyed that marshmallow-chewy texture.

The Bitter:
Surprisingly, didn't taste particularly much like anything, must notably, an Oreo.

Conclusion:
It was only a matter of time before Oreo's review win streak would come to an end. I really didn't think this would be the product that would end it's streak. They got the texture right, but the one thing they've been doing so well up to this point was getting the flavor of the new combinations right. Surprisingly this product has very little resemblance of anything that I've come to know about the Oreo brand. Forget Oreo flavor, just flavor period was missing from this product and I for one will be happy to hopefully never see a domestic release of this item.

Video of the Week 

"Teaching stick?"

I love Conan O'Brien, even more so when he travels to new and foreign lands to learn more about different cultures. Previously I've brought you a clip when he traveled to Cuba. This week, it's Conan in Korea. In this clip, he's taking a Korean language class with a very stern instructor....but he doesn't seem to mind too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!