Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Fresh Kumquats

 They look like tiny oranges!
The Attraction
My mom had a friend that shared some fresh kumquats picked from her own tree somewhere not in NY ( I forgot where). Fresh kumquats AND they are free? You don't have to ask me twice.

The Review:
I haven't always been a fruit lover, but I've always been curious to try new fruits (as I have been curious about trying new packaged snacks) I've seen these in grocery stores, but never felt compelled to try them. In this case, with nothing to lose, I thought it was the perfect time to try them.

As you can see, they very much resemble a small orange or an orange-colored cherry tomato. When I picked one up, I washed it carefully and gave it a squeeze. Like an orange, it didn't yield too much to pressure.

..but do they taste like them?

I bring one up to my mouth and debate if I was supposed to eat the skin or not. Like a newbie, I didn't at first and paid the price. The inner flesh of the fruit was tart..like a grapefruit, but I got some of the rind in my bite, which is actually sweet. I know, it's like an orange in reverse, sweet rind, tart inside. It was very confusing. It tasted like a tart orange, but not as sweet. The tartness of the flesh balances out any sweet highs of the skin. It's literally a back and forth battle in your mouth of flavors. One split second tart, the next sweet and so on and so forth until you finish chewing then swallow. What just happened there?

You do have to be careful because like most oranges, the kumquats do have seeds as well. Surprisingly large for a fruit so small. The seeds were about the size of an orange seed.

Don't let their tiny size fool you!

The Sweet:
A nice departure from the "conventional" fruit stand options

The Bitter:
Though a change from the norm, they don't stand out too much from other citrus fruit.

Conclusion:
I was happy to finally try what a fresh kumquat tastes like. In addition to enjoying saying the word "kumquat", these weren't bad, but like most lazy eaters, the effort to carefully eat these due to its seeds and it's limited availability don't make this a very desirable snack option. I'm a high yield, little effort eater. It's like eating grapes with seeds. After awhile, you get spoiled with eating the ones without and you never want to go back to having the ones with seeds in them again. If these were in front of me would I eat them again? Yes, of course, but would this be a snack I would look forward to eating while watching Wrestlemania? (I don't watch Wrestlemania.....anymore), most likely not.

Video of the Week 
"You know where you are?!"

I have to admit, even I was excited when I heard that Gun's N Roses are back together. Sure, Axl is about the size of 2 Axls compared to back in the day, but even at that, I would love to see them live again. Now if only they would bring the McRib back my life would be complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!