Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Pik-Nik Ketchup Fries

Could Ketchup fries actually be good?

The Attraction:
I was haunted or shall I say scarred recently by a snack that was ketchup flavored. I was so turned-off by the flavor, it made me wonder if the product was just so bad or was I just not a fan of ketchup flavored chips. It was time to ponder no more.

The Review:
The snack in question, were these Changheyuan Potato Chip DJ Mix that I reviewed a few months back. Not only did I not like them, I had to toss them out. I couldn't bare to share these with my co-workers as I may have been accused of trying to "poison" them with their unusual flavor.

I wasn't too excited to try another ketchup-flavored chip, but I thought I had to find out for myself what was going on with these things. Can this flavor really be popular enough were snack companies like Pik-Nik continue to produce such an item? Am I missing something? Do I have that gene where instead of cilantro tasting like soap, ketchup-flavored anything taste like poop?

I do have to say that I enjoy ketchup; I have them on hot dogs, hamburgers, sometimes eggs, hash brown and so on and so forth. It's not that I don't like ketchup. Maybe on a deep-subconscious level, I love it too much and I refuse to take any substitutions. Well, enough of the head-shrinking session. Let's get to snacking, Doctor.

I peel the seal off the canister and am greeted with a slightly fried smell. I stick my hand in and pick up a stick and toss it in my mouth. There is a hint and feel of a french fry, but an old, crushed french fry. After the initial savory flavor passes, the ketchup second course begins. It's more reserved in the presentation of the ketchup essence versus the DJ mix where they punch you in the face with it. It's not bad, but do you really want to spend hours at the gym working off a "not bad" snack?

They look like fried wonton strips in here

The Sweet:
Crispy crunch and a flavor that vaguely resembles french fries with ketchup.

The Bitter:
When I say "vaguely", I mean in a stale "I found a fry in the couch with ketchup on it and ate it" kind of a way.

..or smashed french fries here
Conclusion:
Yes, they are better than I imagined, but I still can't see myself throwing a canister of these into my cart with joy. Perhaps I'm just not a fan of "ketchup flavored" anything. In the end, I think like many things in life, there are just no substitutions for the real thing. Now how about we stop by McDonald's and move past this phase?

Video of the Week
What are a couple of guys to do when you are in Paris with a Go-Pro camera and hours on end to spare? How about sneak onto the Eiffel Tower and free climb throughout the night? That literally might be the last thing that would ever come into my mind, but thanks to these chaps, you won't need to even think about doing it anymore.

It's not that high, really (gulp!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!