Thursday, November 26, 2015

Smartfood Popcorn Cinnamon Brown Sugar

Pop it like it's hot

The Attraction:
While strolling the snack aisle on my work break, I came across this shiny, red bag of potential snack goodness. I love popcorn, cinnamon and brown sugar. Can this be too good to be true? 

The Review:
The good people at Smartfood have been making popcorn standards like White Cheddar and Movie Theater Butter for awhile now, but recently I've been seeing some flavors like this one sneaking into the mainstream, perhaps to slowly dip their toe into the off-the-beaten-path flavor pool like many other snack brands.

Upon opening the bag, the smell of cinnamon comes wafting out of the bag. That's a good start. I pickup a piece of popcorn and go in for the kill. There's that cinnamon flavor on the front end and it's accompanied nicely with the sweetness of the brown sugar, but it's not as sweet as I thought it would be. Maybe it could be a little sweeter. It is a bit reminiscent of a cinnamon based cereal. Before you conclude that bite, towards the end there is an interesting savory note. It's a subtle savory butter flavor. "What? Where did that come from?", I think to myself. Then the cinnamon after effects kick in and your mouth feels like you have cotton mouth . Why must cinnamon be so delicious, yet dry your mouth like this! Oddly enough, a few more pieces later, I didn't have that experience. Maybe some of the cinnamon shifted into one spot?

If you stare long enough, you will see the face
of your future spouse, if your spouse was made of popcorn

The Sweet:
The light fluffy popcorn isn't overly aggressive with it's sweetness.

The Bitter:
The cinnamon leaves your mouth feeling dry. The slightly buttery finish confused me.

"Who you calling a Cracker Jack?"

Conclusion:
I'm on the fence on this one. It's a well made product that you can tell some attention was paid to it in development. The buttery finish, the nice sized popcorn pieces, the measured amount of sweetness applied...it all points to care in a quality product. With that, it all boils down to flavor, snacking experience and my true test; would I actively pursue this snack to get more of it?  I regretfully say "Nay".

Video of the Week
Back in the day, I used to love riding roller coasters. Then one day I rode one and I had the worst headache after it. Since then, I've not been able to handle anything beyond the bumper cars. For those folks feeling a bit more frisky and just happen to be in Germany, I present to you a spinning car on a roller coaster!

Why not add some snakes while we are at it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!