Sunday, May 15, 2016

Lotte Toppoki Snack

That's one big mouth dog

The Attraction
Maybe it was the red shiny dog on the outside of the packaging or it was the unusual amount of hits I got from people checking these dukbokki snacks I previously reviewed. Anyway, I thought it was fine time to try see what a spicy version of what that snack might taste like. 

The Review:
I must apologize; I know I've been doing a lot of Asian snacks lately, but it's been awhile since I found a snack that caught my interest at the local supermarket. (I can see my friend Gabby's eyes roll as she sees this product. I'll work harder to throw some more diversity to my snack reviews, OK, damnit?!

I open this bag and immediately there is a sweet / fried smell creeping out of the bag. It's almost as subtle as that shiny red dog on the outside. I take a peek inside and I see these "chips' that look like mini-churros or penne. Interesting. hopefully they taste like dry, uncooked pasta.

I pick a lucky toppoki from the bag and give it a bite. There is a nice crunch and as expected, there is a sweet flavor that comes through first and at the very end...a slight spiciness.


Pasta time


"What!? That's it?! That's the 'Crazy' heat indicated on the outside of the bag?!"

I must have become the Superman of spicy snacks if that was considered spicy. I plop down in front of my computer and start to form my review while continuing to munch on these snacks.....next thing I notice is about 7-10 pieces later the heat has built to the point where I'm starting to salivate a good amount. That is what is tricky about the spicy-sweet combo....sometimes it just sneaks up on.

The heat seems to build steadily at about 10% increments until it gets to the point where your brain finally tells you, "Hey, this is sorta spicy, homey"

I'm a hottie (when I'm with my friends)

The Sweet:
Great snack if you like a sweet / spicy mix

The Bitter:
Need to string a bunch of these together to start feeling the Bern, burn.

Conclusion:
If the heat you were getting from the other Korean style snacks like this wasn't doing it for you, start munching on a few of these and it's only a matter of time before your mouth starts sweating. It's actually remarkably similiar tasting to other dukbokki / toppoki snacks, but this item punches up the heat about twice that of other similiar products I have tried.....all doing it while it's slightly sweet flavor gives you a false sense of security. This is like that date you meet on Craigslist that joins you for dinner, have great conversation with, only to have them ruffie you and take your watch later; it's stealthy, but good.

Video of the Week 
How quickly can we get to Shanghai?

Now, I don't know the movie Tron terribly well, however, the visuals are quite memorable. That's why without even seeing the movie or it's sequel, I would consider flying to Shanghai to check out this ride in the Disneyland over there. That and check out it's skyline and eat like a beast. Did I mention the food?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!