Sunday, May 1, 2016

Kasugai Pineapple Gummy Candy

 Can the Japanese improve upon another idea?

The Attraction
Last week I reviewed gummies from a company originating from Germany. It got me thinking, what would a Japanese version of gummy candy taste like? Let's see!

The Review:
OK, ok, so I have to 'fess up. It's not like I've never had Japanese gummy candy before. I've had several Kasugai gummy flavors prior to this review, but I've never put pen to paper (or finger to keyboard) to write a review about it. Sure there are other tasty flavors available, but I have never tried the pineapple flavor, so I thought this review should at least be about a flavor I've not had prior.

I open the packaging and peer inside to see all the gummies individually wrapped. I have mixed feelings about this. It's not environmentally friendly and in my mind, if it means less product in the bag, then I can forego the double-freshness factor.


Seriously hygienic, for the OCD crowd

Oddly enough, when I open the bag, there's a strong scent of plastic or glue. Almost like Shrinky Dinks from back in the day. That was off-putting, but I must solder on in the name of snack review.

I pickup a gummy, unwrap it and give it a gentle squeeze. It already feels less firm than the Haribo variety, which is neither good nor bad. I take a whiff and there is a slight pineapple scent. I take a bite and the gummy gives way fairly easily. If biting into a Haribo cola gummy requires 8 out of 10 gummy bite strength, these pineapple gummies require about 6 out of 10 on the same scale. Flavor-wise, it's a relatively mild compared to dried pineapple itself. Best of all, as with many Japanese snacks, it's not too sweet.

It's healthy because it looks like a
dried apricot, right?

The Sweet:
Nice soft gummy texture with a mild pineapple taste.

The Bitter:
If you like a "gummier" snack, you may find that these yield too easily to your bite. Should be for a pineapple flavor fan.

Conclusion:
If you are a gummy fan, you will enjoy this snack.You will also have to be a fan of the taste of pineapple also. It's not necessarily on everyone's top 3 favorite fruit flavors. Even with that, it didn't take much time to make short work of the remaining gummies in the bag. If you really want to make a bag of gummies disappear, try the Mango, Grape or Lychee flavors.

Video of the Week 
Cause we all need to do our part

In case you haven't figured this out, I'm a fan of food, so when I heard there was a pizzeria that started making a pizza box made out of pizza, I was intrigued. The only question now is how will you keep your pizza pizza-box warm? Build another pizza box...and then so on and so forth....( I hope you really like pizza).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!