Sunday, October 23, 2016

Calbee Takoyaki Ball Cookies

 Mini-baked potatoes?

The Attraction
Last week I hit a H-Mart around my way after not stopping in for awhile. I was greeted with a bounty of new and interesting snacks....these Takoyaki Ball Cookies being one of them. Wait, did I just say Takoyaki-Ball Cookies? I have to try these.

The Review:
I first had Takoyaki about 7-8 years ago with a friend down in the East Village. What initially drew me to them were the octopus chunks inside the balls themselves. I really enjoy squid and octopus, so I was game to give them a shot.  I liked them, but it was the kind of dish that I could take or leave. Interesting and tasty, but not a eating absolute eating necessity. I've since had takoyaki after that on occasion, but never really ranked them high on the "must have" list. Even at that, what would a snack "chip" or ball version, in this case, taste like?

I excitedly open the bag and inhale deeply. Sure enough, somehow these balls do exude a scent that reminds me of takoyaki, but I was still skeptical. As I take the bag away from my face, I notice that Calbee makes these balls.


Well, at least they are round like a real takoyaki

You may know Calbee from some of my other snack reviews like their Honey Butter Chip and Hot and Spicy Potato Chips. Based on my experience with their products, seeing their name on the packaging brought some comfort. For the most part, I've always found Calbee snacks to be good.

I pick a lucky ball out of the pile and take a quick look. It resembles a short tater-tot or maybe even a small hush-puppy. (the food, not the shoes). I put a takoyaki ball in my mouth and it's like a flavor explosion, literally. At first I was overwhelmed with all the flavors going on; savory, smokey, seafood-ish, then sweet. "Cookies" also isn't a very accurate term in this case These are more like corn-puffed spheres. It's hard to believe these balls have so much going on in them. Something strange happened after I had one; I wanted another.

After having several, I could distinguish the fishy/smokiness of what was supposed to be the benito flakes and then the sweetness of the mayo and takoyaki sauce. It was remarkable how much they were able to capture the flavor of takoyaki in a prepackaged dry snack.

"No, I am not a tater-tot"

The Sweet:
Captures the flavor of eating takoyaki.

The Bitter:
There's a lot of flavor in these balls, maybe too much for some.

Conclusion:
Look, these things are good. I wish I could put it in a more eloquent way and stretch out my review, but Calbee just flat-out did a great job of capturing the flavor-essence of eating takoyaki. I had my doubts before trying these, but in the end, the spot on flavor was incredibly satisfying...and dare I say addicting.


Video of the Week
Don't you have enough of my money already?

In case you have been under a rock this week, Nintendo has released a new video showcasing their new gaming system, "Switch". If you are wondering what on earth could Nintendo bring to the gaming console world at this point, watch the video and begin to imagine hours of your life slip away from you even when you are away from home. Oh and don't forget about the awesome lines you'll have to stand in to get one. Yay.

1 comment:

  1. I tried these and loved them. The thing is... I cant find them anymore. I have gone to several H-Marts and they are not carrying them or are out of them. I did find them is Wasabi. Not bad.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!