Sunday, October 9, 2016

Newton's Strawberry

I always called these Fig Newtons, even when not fig-flavored.

The Attraction
I love Fig Newtons. Granted they aren't as sexy and exciting as some other snacks, but they are certainly tasty. These Newtons Strawberry's have been around for awhile, but for some reason I always went with the default original. Well, not this week...

The Review:
I've been "ruining" my dinner (according to my Mom)  for years by snacking on Fig Newtons frequently throughout my life. As much as I've loved them, I've been wanting to try the strawberry variation since they've hit the supermarket shelves, so I was really excited to take these home to finally sample.

I open the package and the scent of strawberries attack my olfactory nerves immediately. "Boy, this is going to be good!", I think to myself. I admire the rows of Newtons waiting for me to pounce on them for a second...and then I indulge.

Please stand at attention, so that I may devour you.

The bite is familiar; their signature soft and chewy exterior is in full effect. As the chew progresses, the strawberry filling hits my tongue and it's not overly sweet. There's no mistaking it for strawberry, but what is unfamiliar is the slight tartness that comes along with the filling. It's something that doesn't exist in the original fig flavor, so it's unexpected. I'm guessing that the fig flavor didn't seem as sweet overall, but the strawberry version needs a limiter or a spoil to counteract some of the sweetness in the filling. In theory, yes it makes sense, the results however make one yearn for the classic flavor that brought you to this dance to begin with.

 
Can you call these Fig Newtons Strawberry?

The Sweet:
Soft and chewy, just like the delicious original Fig Newtons

The Bitter:
I think there's a reason why it's been figs all these years

Conclusion:
These Newtons Strawberry are everything that you have come to love about the original fig Newtons...all but for one important difference.That one variation from fig to strawberry flavor changes much more than I imagined. Somehow the figs aren't as sweet and ground the snack where the sugar level doesn't seem to soar and need some tartness to tame it, unlike the strawberry filling. With the fig flavor, I could polish off a row in one setting. With the strawberry flavor, maybe 2-3 pieces.

Before having one, I was certain I was going to love these because I love Fig Newtons and I love strawberries. 1 and 1 should equal 2 right? It's not always that simple. In the case of these Newtons Strawberry, the math just doesn't add up.

Video of the Week
I've been waiting for this!

You got to hand it to the folks over at Marvel; first they were able to slowly bring the comic book world to a boil with the way they released individual superhero movies and then have it culminate into The Avengers movies. Now they are doing the same on the small screen first with Daredevil, then Jessica Jones, after Luke Cake and now Iron Fist. I can't wait to see how they handle The Defenders!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!