Sunday, August 16, 2015

Kinder Colazione Piu

Kinder is everywhere in Italy
The Attraction:
Our recent trip to Italy netting a few treats, one of which were these breakfast sticks. I really had no idea what the story was, but there were so many of these types of pre-made pastry things, that we decided to try some. As they say, when in Rome...

The Review
I had no idea what flavor this was. One could guess chocolate based on the color of the pastry or wheat if you look at the illustration, but it was all part of the mystery and fun of it all. I unwrapped a stick and was immediately struck by the coffee scent these snacks were emitting. Coffee? Never would have guessed that. It was only today that I finally translated the words on the packaging so I can determine what Kinder is advertising the flavor as. "Colazione Piu" comes up as "Breakfast more". Umm...ok, that didn't really help. How about "lievitata naturalmente" which it says next to those stalks of wheat on the left...."naturally leavened"...I still don't think that's a flavor. I'll have to let my taste buds tell me what flavor this is.

First bite in; there was a reason there was a coffee scent, but thankfully it wasn't super strong and the lines of frosting across the top also help soften the flavor even more so. As you might have guessed by now, I'm not a fan of coffee, so coffee-flavored anything is a hard sell. The thing is, with the sweetness and spongy consistency of the cake, all parts of the greater whole seem to result in more of a tiramisu flavor than just plain coffee......and that is a good thing.

Boy, this photo is making me hungry

The Sweet:
Coffee-flavor without bonking you over the head with it. The strips of frosting complement the caffeinated taste and helps build a tiramisu-like effect. 

The Bitter:
The pastry is a tad drier than I would have preferred. A bump up of another 10% in moisture would have been about right.

If you look closely, you can see a strip of
coffee syrup in the middle
Conclusion:
Does a product based on coffee-flavor stand a chance with someone that doesn't particularly care for coffee? In this case, unfortunately, it does not. I can see how coffee lovers or someone indifferent to it could like this snack. In fairness, had I known it was this flavor, I would have selected another option that Kinder offers. Although I don't see myself missing Italy because of this snack, I can see myself dutifully polishing off the remaining sticks in the package to make space for other snacks in my pantry. When I say dutifully, I mean gladly.

Video of the Week
Recently, it's been hot here in New York, but if I had to do what this guy does to get an air conditioner at my place, I would have no AC....and one less pair of clean khakis.

"Is it installed yet? I'm dying in here!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!