Sunday, October 5, 2014

Moon Pie Peanut Butter

"I do not get promotional consideration for reviewing
all these Moon Pie items, but I'm open to it!"

The Attraction:
When I see the name "Moon Pie", my eyes automatically widen and I focus on the product. (As if you couldn't imagine that with all the reviews I have of their products). That's how much I enjoy most of their products. I also dig peanut butter. Consider my taste buds ready to roll when I brought this little prize home.


The Review
I was a bit apprehensive at first with this item. Despite being a fan of the original Moon Pies, as well as the their Banana Mini Moon Pie offering, I thought their Mini Mint Moon Pie was a misstep. With that said, I was curious to see how the Mini Peanut Butter Moon Pie would fair. As I slid the cookie out, I could tell immediately that the cookie was following suit like the Mini Mint Moon Pie by using a crunchy shell covered with chocolate. I wasn't too sure how I felt about that. It brought me flashbacks of how much I didn't care for the Mini Mint Moon Pie partially because of the crunchy cookie they used. "Let's just try and see", I thought. I dug in and as I suspected, there was a crunchy cookie under that chocolate coating and then the creamy peanut butter inside found it's way to my palate. Hmm...it tasted familiar. It wasn't like the filling of a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, in which I love. It was creamier. Then it dawned on me; the filling is like that of a Girl Scout Tagalong. For the record, I love Tagalongs. I think you can see where I'm going with this.

I'm like an adopted Moon Pie

The Sweet:
The peanut butter filling works really well with the crunchy cookie shell. The hard cookie adds a needed contrasts against the creamy peanut butter filling. Without it, the cookie may have been too "goopy". The best way to describe this snack is take a Girl Scout Tagalong add another chocolate crunchy cookie on top, and you have a Peanut Butter Moon Pie. The result is a delicious paring of peanut butter and chocolate.
Peek-a-boo! I see you
The Bitter:
These may be discontinued. I don't see them on the company's site anymore. Maybe Cracker Barrel will have a stash of them...I hope.

Conclusion:
Whereas the Mini Mint Moon Pie failed because I believe it disappointed fans that it didn't have some of the signature characteristics of a Moon Pie, this variation although also doesn't have those characteristics, seems to want to stand on it's own and proclaim that it's nothing like a traditional Moon Pie. Other than shape, chocolate coating and the actual name, there aren't many similarities. If it wasn't for the packaging itself, you could easily forget that you are eating a "Moon Pie" product. This item would have been strong enough to have it's own line within another snack company (like Keebler or Nabisco). I think it's a bit misleading to call it a "Moon Pie" since there isn't a marshmallowy center or an airy top and bottom cookie to contain it. Forget what you know about Moon Pies when you try this item and have none of those expectations. What you may find in the end is just one damn tasty snack, regardless of it's name.

Video of the Week
Not a food related item this week, however it may very well make you lose your lunch. I present you with Female Ice JJ Fish with her heartfelt rendition of John Legend's "All of Me". In addition to having a super catchy stage name, I wasn't quite sure if she was singing in English until the 2nd or 3rd time I watched the video (the things I do for this blog). She reminds me of Rihanna minus the talent, looks and charisma.

"Allllll of meeee, wants to drown all of her.."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!