Sunday, December 28, 2014

Rum Coconut Patties

Did someone say rum?!

The Attraction:
I've seen these dang things around for years, mainly around the airports and souvenir shops around Florida. I've never bought any for anyone nor for myself cause although I like coconut, I've never been able to commit myself to giving someone something in which I've never tried or had a better idea of what it tastes like. Well, when a co-coworker recently returned from a trip from the Sunshine State with these and the Key Lime version in tow, this was the perfect time to sample these little buggers.
How many of these would I need
to eat to get a buzz, from rum, that is

The Review
Anastasia Confections makes these patties with assorted varieties and each of the two flavors I have on-hand, rum and key lime, come with 12 individually wrapped patties. I opt to try the rum version first. Let the party begin!

I tear open the clear cellophane wrapping and the smell of rum is quite clear. "Gee, I hope the rum flavor isn't too strong", I think to myself, and thankfully after my first bite, it's clear that the rum flavor isn't over-powering. The sweetness, on the other hand, whoa!

It's what you would imagine a rum-coconut patty might taste like. The addition of the rum does do a great job of maintaining the moisture of the patty itself. The chocolate also adds a nice contrast both textually as well as add some dimension flavor-wise.I take another bite.....sure enough....it's still dang sweet....too much so.

Looks like a slice of miniature cake with a chocolate frosting, no?

The Sweet:
The moisture is perfect in these patties. I really dislike dry coconut, but these patties hit it right on the money. The rum works! The partial chocolate coating is also a seemingly small detail, but overall nets a huge gain as it works wonders both on your taste buds and the sensation in your mouth as you chew into one of these patties.

The Bitter:
Its really sweet. Perhaps almost about 20%-40% too much so. It's the type of sweetness that makes you stop wanting to have an additional piece after you polish one patty off.  Perhaps even stop wanting sweets in general for a bit.

The room started to spin...from the sugar high!

Conclusion:
Although these rum coconut patties do a wonderful job of maintaining a nice balance of moistness and an ideal ratio of chocolate to patty, the overwhelming sweetness makes this product difficult to recommend. With that said, this probably is an ideal souvenir; most folks will just grab one, feel satisfied, and not wish to have another one again for some time.

Perhaps the key lime version will rate more favorably? Hmm....we'll have to wait and see.

Video of the Week
Something a bit different this week. I know Christmas just passed, but here's a feel-good clip about a lad named Patrick that was unable to communicate for much of his young life. He was born deaf and his village didn't have a school that taught sign-language, so he sat in silence, until recently.

Happy Patrick!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!