Sunday, December 7, 2014

Khong Guan Custard Cream Biscuits



The Attraction:
Almost anything sandwiched with a cream filling at the minimum gets a moment of consideration. I remember eating these awhile back. They have since changed the packaging. I wonder if anything else has changed...

The Review
Khong Guan, much like the Singapore version of Nabisco here in the US, makes a many assorted varieties of snacks and cookies. One of them, the Custard Cream Biscuit, was my first introduction to the Khong Guan brand several years ago. I was a fan because the cookie wasn't overly sweet, complicated or gimmicky. It was just a simply tasty cookie. When I noticed the recent repackaging of their product lines, I wanted to revisit the cookie that I once loved. Did the new packaging come with a change to the recipe I had grown to love in my youth? "Hope they don't mess this up", I thought.

Upon first inspection of the cookies, everything looks identical. I take my first bite; hmm...the outer shell still has the simple sweet that I can recall, but as I keep chewing, something seems different. The cream finally interacts with my first bite. This cookie seems drier than I remember. Could I have grown out of liking this cookie? Has my taste buds become less acute.....no! After I take a second bite, it dawns on me......they put in less custard cream! Are they mad!?

Khong Guan Custard Cream Biscuits - Click Image to Close
The "old school package"
Who knew that wouldn't be the only thing that would change

The Sweet:
Still a very simple sandwich cream cookie that has a outer shell cookie that are slightly reminiscent of shortbread that is still tasty in itself. You could probably enjoy it on it's own. The custard cream (I'm not sure why they call it custard) is a perfect pairing with the outer cookie, except...

The Bitter:
... not enough cream! By lessening the amount of cream they place into each cookie, it has dramatically changed the product, and not in a good way. The biscuits now seem drier and well.....rather ordinary.

Conclusion:
The reduction of cream in each cookie has thrown the balance off on this once delightful product. The dance in your mouth between the cream and cookie shell was perfect. Now, it seems that the cookie exterior is doing more of a solo with a cream cameo.

Imagine if you will, an Oreo. Now take said Oreo and remove about 33% to 50% of the cream middle out. See how the cookie just seems drier and well....just not seem like an Oreo? That's what happened here. Hopefully someone at Khong Guan notices how popular the cream part is in the biscuit and right this epic wrong. Besides, how well would you think a "half-stuffed" Oreo cookie would be? Probably about as popular as this cookie is with me. Unless the cream comes back, I won't.

Video of the Week
You know, this time of year, it's important to remember all your friends, love ones and most of all, family. No other group of people in your life will be sure to send you immediately into years of therapy.



Meanwhile, joy is being spread to a family in Asia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!