Sunday, January 1, 2017

Persimmon (Fuyu)

Don't call me a tomato!


The Attraction
I've resisted this fruit for many, many years, but after a bagful landed on my desk, I couldn't avoid it any longer.

The Review:
It's a new year and I thought what a wonderful way to ring it in on Sneakasnack by reviewing something healthy, like a fruit. The bigger question is if this is a tasty fruit or a
"healthy" fruit that taste as such. (if you know what I mean).

My Mom loves persimmons, but I never really thought about trying it. I think subconsciously it looks like a tomato to me and back in the day I was not a big tomato fan. Therefore, it must taste bad if it looks like a tomato, right?

Fast forward 30 something years and I had a former coworker offer me a bunch that she received from her parents in DC. She told me her parents would send her a box-load because they have a persimmon tree and it would grow too many for them. I casually said, "Sure, of course", not really thinking she would follow up and give some to me. 2 days later there was a bag of about 20 persimmons on my desk. Her generosity put me in a jam. Now what? I can give them to my Mom! Problem is, many were already ripe and I wouldn't see her until 5 days later. Some of the persimmons wouldn't make it.

Damn this "hate-to-waste-food" mentality. I was backed into a corner. I should at least taste one before tossing out the over-ripened ones, don't you think? I owe my co-worker and the persimmons at least that much, no? Enter my snack review...


Persimmon varieties

At first, I had no idea how to eat it. Can you eat the skin? Is there a pit? How can you tell if it's ripe? After having to Google all these things like some sort of fruit barbarian, I had my answers. Yes, you can eat the skin, but I elected to peel it anyway. There's no pit in the Fuyu type persimmon I had, but some do have them. Lastly, you can eat Fuyu persimmon's while they are firm, but some choose to eat them when they are a bit softer. Good thing was I didn't need to wait for the softer part. These babies were ready to go.

Personally prepared by Chef Paul

I pick one up and try not to destroy it as I attempted to remove the outside skin with a peeler. With moderate success, due to it's ripeness, I was ready to go in. I wasn't too excited as the mushiness of the one I had as it further reminded me of a tomato.

As I bring a piece to my mouth, I can smell the sweetness of it. Not strong, nor familiar, but a sweetness. I take it in and surprisingly to me, there's not much tomato likeness at all.

It's sweet and at first and it reminded me of a really sweet mango, but that still wasn't quite accurate. After having a few more bites, perhaps a juicy sweet potato, minus the graininess might be more on target. Texture-wise, the outside is like a papaya, but the interior has these chewy gel sacks in them. I know that may not sound super appetizing, but the contrast works really well. Having several more bites, I not only found myself enjoying that chewiness, but looking forward to it.

This really isn't like a tomato at all!

The Sweet:
Great "sweet potato" like flavor with a chewy gel surprise!

The Bitter:
Only available certain times of the year (mostly Fall) and it took some time for me to prep. (Remove the top greenery, peel, then cut into pieces)

Conclusion:
I was ready to not like this fruit at all. Maybe "not like" is putting it lightly. I was looking at this fruit through "tomato-tinted" glasses and avoided it for many years.

Boy, what I have been missing out on.

Since discovering persimmons, there is hardly a time that I've seen them and not bought any or think to myself if I had any left at home. I couldn't think of a stronger endorsement.

For those of you who are tired of having the "typical" fruits, give persimmons a shot. You might find that eating healthy has never tasted so good.

Video of the Week
What is that vase made out of?

I don't like to see people fail, unless it's something with bad intentions behind it. In this case, perhaps some planning or testing may have been a good idea before you try to put on a show for your superiors. Loss of faith in the Iranian Army, however new found belief in the quality of their vases.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!