Sunday, May 24, 2015

Passion Fruit


Why is it called a Passion Fruit?
The Attraction:
This may have been only the second time that I've ever seen a passion fruit in person. I'm not sure if I just never payed attention or if they are just not stocked in the groceries that I go to. Well, anyway, I thought that I didn't want to leave this planet without ever knowing what a fresh passion fruit taste like, so for the hefty price of 2 for $6 USD, I would give it a go. Heck, you only live once...

The Review
I know, I know; a fruit on a snack block? Well, I did it this one time and I thought it was high time I did it again as snacks don't always have to be something man-made.

As I held the passion fruit in my hand, it felt light. You can tell it was hollow-ish on the inside. It felt like a ping pong ball with a slight weight to it. Alright, let's cut this baby open.

Sure looks good, doesn't it?  Wait til you see the next photo

As I cut the fruit into 2 halves, it reminded me of a pomegranate in some ways; the reddish interior, the "fruit" encasing a seed, although granted, not nearly as appealing. The edible part of the passion fruit, is the slimy part in the photo. The best way to eat it is to scoop it out with a spoon, which is exactly what I did. Down the hatch it goes.

Up to this point in my life, what I've know about the flavor of passion fruit has been limited to sugary sweet drinks that I've gotten at the local bubble tea stand....and let me tell you....it's not quite the same. The biggest difference is the tartness in the fruit itself. Yes, the "passion fruit" flavor is there, but there is a sourness that comes along with it as well. Oh, Mother Nature, can't you make everything exactly the way I want it?

The Sweet:
Passion flavor taste. Sounds silly, but it's nice to know what the heck the actual fruit taste like.

The Bitter:
Obviously, the passion fruit is what it is and is perfect as nature intended it, but something to be aware of is it's tartness. In addition, I would have preferred to pick this from a tree than to plunk down $3 per passion fruit, which roughly breaks down to about $1 per teaspoon. Hmm...I can either have 4 passion fruits (and still be hungry) or a reasonable lunch in midtown Manhattan in NYC. Where's that halal cart again?

Yum?

Conclusion:
Who am I to argue with what nature has created? I can, however, argue that for the pricey cost for passion fruit here in the States and for the little amount I netted per fruit, I won't be running down to the grocery store to pick up a bag of passion fruit anytime soon....especially if the said bag had 6 passion fruits in it...I'd rather pass and get a decent steak for the money.

Video of the Week
This week's video is brought to you by Vocativ and highlights how kids from China come to the US to study and pickup a few convenience vehicles during their stay (if you consider cars that cost six figure convenient). I don't know about you, but even though I'm Chinese, I never quite rolled in any of these types of cars when I was in University... I was pimping in one of these instead

I wouldn't mind rolling up to Taco Bell
with one of these MoFos


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!