Sunday, November 9, 2014

Arnott's Tim Tam Vanilla

Tim Tam, but will I thank you, Ma'am?

The Attraction:
Almost 2 years ago, I reviewed Arnott's Caramel version of Tim Tam's cookies, so with my love of flavor variations of familiar products, it was a natural attraction when I saw the vanilla version of these treats. Even better was that I didn't have to commit to a full size package (and price) to sample these cookies. In the bag it goes...

The Review
One could say that Arnott's is the Australian equivalent to the United State's Nabisco or Keebler, a company known for putting out tasty savory and sweet treats for over a century like their US counterparts. One of Arnott's flagship products, if not their flagship product, is Tim Tam. They come in various flavors, but this will be the first time I will be sampling their vanilla offering. Like the caramel version I tried earlier, even the smaller package comes carefully packed with spacers in the tray to prevent sticking and crushing of the chocolate covered cookies. (Although frankly, I may have preferred to have an extra cookie or four squeezed in there to forego the thoughtful packaging). First bite; same crunch and rush of chocolate flavor as the caramel version, but this time with a white cream in the middle. The results of the "new twist" on an old favorite? Blah. Perhaps my expectations were misguided; I was hoping for actually vanilla flavor, not just a white cream. Either way, the cream seems rather inconsequential. It didn't bring anything to the flavor party, well actually, if anything, it took the place of caramel or the original chocolate filling, which was much more satisfying and added something to the finished product rather than was just inserted and seems rather neutral to the item, like the vanilla cream.

"Hello, Sexy!"

The Sweet:
At the core, it's still a Tim Tam, but really, when you take away the customary chocolate cream, it's a whole lot less tastier than the original. There's really not to much to like about this item.

"It's not you, it's me....OK, it's really you"
The Bitter:
If I never had a Tim Tam previous to trying this vanilla version, I wouldn't try another Tim Tam again. That's how unimpressive I was with this product. It's not that it was bad, per se, it was just indistinguishable from any other "so-so" chocolate covered cookie. (I may be nice in saying this item is considered "so-so").

Conclusion:
Take a regular Tim Tam, take away the chocolaty cream filling and substitute with a white flavored cream that you can't taste and this is what you get. I assume the "vanilla" in this product refers to the color of the cream, because it certainly didn't taste of anything.

This flavor detour falls flat and is a boring deviation that detracts from the lore of the legendary Tim Tam line. Save your money and stick with either the original or the "Twix" like caramel variation.

Video of the Week
If you are cheap like me, you like to find different ways to save money and make things on your own. That's what this kid and his Dad had in mind when they tried to make sparkling wine from regular red wine. Can't imagine what could possibly go wrong.

"I'm such a genius for figuring out how to save time and money!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!