Thursday, March 8, 2012

D-Plus (Hokkaido Cream)

D-Plus (Hokkaido Cream)




I have previously tried this product line when I came across these buns at a Japanese grocery store, but as fate would have it, I would be wandering around a H-Mart (Korean Grocery store) and come across this little treasure. I've had the blueberry and the green tea flavor before (and was a fan of both) when I noticed this very specific "cream" flavor.

The Attraction
I really have a fondness for products that expand upon their product line by incorporating things like new flavors. They haven't always been "home runs", but it's a neat little twist of an existing product you know well, so I'm almost always game to give it a shot.

Review
What I love about these buns are the light, soft, airy nature of them (think fresh dinner rolls without any of the crusty parts) There's a subtle sweetness to them that isn't overpowering and the flavor of the bun itself is delicately revealed to the eater. You aren't knocked over the head with it, which is nice, but it left me with the next question; what the heck does Hokkaido Cream suppose taste like? I felt like a bit of an adolescent trying a recreational drug for the first time "Wait, wait...I think I feel something...no, no, nothing".



After several very focused bites, I could taste the cream in the bun. It was the most obvious when you first bite into it. How the taste of Hokkaido Cream differs from regular cream, you may ask? I couldn't tell you other than the cream is suppose to originate from Hokkaido (a city in Japan).

The Sweet
D-Plus buns are consistently light and airy with a subtle flavor to them. I haven't tasted a flavor I didn't liked yet.

The Bitter
Specific to this flavor, I wasn't able to determine what the difference was between Hokkaido Cream and the taste of regular cream. It was a very subtle cream flavor.

At $2 a bun, I would have no problem buying this item again, but not necessarily because the flavor was so overwhelmingly tasty, (in actuality, the cream flavor was rather underwhelming) but more because I just love their delicately baked products.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing us over at SneakASnack. We appreciate you stopping in and sharing your comments!